Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant reinstall windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harry_lime

harry_lime

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

my computer froze up in the middle of an update, so i had to shut it off. when i rebooted, i get the starting windows screen, then once it is done, i just get a blank screen. i tried restoring it, but that didnt work, so i tried just reinstalling windows from my CD. everytime i install windows, it gets through expanding the files and another step, then when it has to reboot to finish, i get "please wait while windows sets up your computer" for about an hour. sometimes the screen will come up to complete installation after that, but there is always some sort of error. ive tried installing it 3 different times now, and each time instead of writing over it, it creates a partition on the c: drive(i now have 3 incomplete, nonworking versions of windows). tried memory diagnostics and disk checks, but got nothing.

not sure what else to do..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

I'd suggest trying to reinstall the OS one more time, but this time first delete all partitions. Then create a new active partition (c:), format, and then try the installation.

#3 harry_lime

harry_lime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

I'd suggest trying to reinstall the OS one more time, but this time first delete all partitions. Then create a new active partition (c:), format, and then try the installation.

ill try it again, but im not sure how to delete the partitions since i dont have access to windows(havent tried running command prompt, but i wouldnt know how to do it using that anyway).

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

If I understand correctly you have a Vista CD, is that correct? If so, boot to the cd and when the install routine begins you'll be given the option to delete and create partitions.

If you do not have a Vista CD then disregard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users