Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB flash drive with security software maybe faulty

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sway

Sway

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hi all,

I have a Verbatim Store 'n' Go USB Flash Drive. It came preloaded with "V Safe 100 Security Application" which originally asked me to define an area to protect (I chose the whole drive) and I assigned a password to it.

I work from the drive and the last couple of days I have noticed that it behaves as if I am unplugging it and plugging it back in quickly (Windows makes the little sound, the light on the flash drive goes off and on and the window pops up showing me what files are on the drive again). I think I have caught it as it seems like the cover is a little loose fitting. :(

I got a second ordinary USB drive and formatted it, then logged in on the first one and copied over literally everything I could see (including vsafe100vista.exe). Usually when I plug in the first drive, I only see an icon for the security software. After I log in on it, I then see all my files, an icon I click on to log out and the security software (which when I click on it just asks me if I want to log out). I can see all of this when I simply plug in the 2nd drive, as if I am logged in on it, but I am not. So it doesn't ask me for a password or anything, and if I click on either the log out icon or the vsafe100vista.exe, it asks me to "Please insert store n go and run as a privileged user." Well it was a long shot!

What I'm asking you guys is:
1. Does this mean I cannot transfer the security software from the original USB to use it on another because it only works on the one you bought it on?
2. Might I lose everything on the first stick if the cover is a little wonky or it behaves how I just described? Can I carry on using it?
3. Can you recommend any other free software I can put on the second drive and just copy my files over, where it asks me for a password to access anything on the drive?

Hope this is posted in the right place.

Thanks a lot! :unsure:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Ugh well.. an update..

Basically when I plug in the first flash drive now, all I see is nonsense, 3 files with nonsense file names e.g. "■+7", nonsense file types, only a few KB each when the 1gb drive was almost full.

Have I lost everything forever? I tried the checkdisk (ticked automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors) .. there were a couple more nonsense files before I scanned with that.

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users