Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio breaks up while downloading or using other programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donjoe6

donjoe6

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:46 AM

Hey all...I have a problem with my audio, and it happens in many different cases. If I watch a youtube video, the audio will break up and be choppy until I see the red bar all the way across that indicates the rest of the video has been loaded. It seems that my computer has trouble playing audio and downloading something at the same time.

It's not just with streaming. If I'm playing mp3s with windows media player and I start downloading a file, the audio will start breaking up, stuttering, or become distorted until the download is complete. Also, I use a program called FL studio to compose music, and if I have a lot of instruments going at the same time, it will start distorting and stuttering like my computer can't handle it.

Here's the thing, none of this used to happen. It's not a case of my computer not having sufficient hardware. It all used to be fine but about 6 months ago I formatted and reinstalled Vista after getting a bunch of malware (I now use malwarebytes). Ever since formatting and reinstalling Vista, now all the sudden my computer acts like it's this big strain to play audio, whether it's streaming, windows media player, or any other audio program. It doesn't matter.

I've ruled out the sound card being a problem. I thought maybe that was it, it's integrated in the motherboard that came with the computer, I went out and got this $100 soundblaster sound card. Unfortunately there was absolutely no difference, the problem persisted.

Everything else with my computer works just fine, it's not slow or anything. It seems to just be with playing audio. I would appreciate any help! I can tolerate it when streaming, but when I'm trying to work on music it's a real pain.

My computer is an eMachines T5088, Pentium 4 3.20GHz, 1.5gb ram. Running Vista. I've tried closing every single program (I thought maybe it was the malwarebytres protection module but problem still persists after closing that and everything else), thinking maybe it would free up resources for audio. It only helps by like 2%, that's obviously not the solution. By the way, I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, no difference.

I'm really hoping someone can help....thanks in advance!

Edited by donjoe6, 28 January 2011 - 01:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_w

a_w

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hi! I have exactly the same problem and it drives me crazy. My machine specs are the following:
Pentium 4 3Ghz (Motherboard MSI 875P Neo), 2GB Memory, Windows XP Pro with all the service packs and updates, Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702.

The problem has imho definetely something to do with Internet Explorer/Explorer.exe. Today i had a reboot and started downloading about 100 files from an online filesharing server. For each file a new Explorer window pops up with some commercial info and the download link. I'm downloading with Orbit Downloader/Grab Pro. After every time i've clicked on the downloadlink i killed the popped-up window, so very few tabs open over all. The more files i downloaded/the more IE windows i opened and closed, the slower the system became. I was listening to some music, which started cracking, mouse cursor became slow, map explorer also. Youtube also same problem as you described. The problem isn't Orbit/Grab i think, because i had the program removed from my computer for a while and the problem remained persistent.

Today i killed explorer.exe to force it to reload and had the idea that things improved for a short while, so my best guess is that it's some rare bug in explorer that came with an update or service pack, that causes some buffer to run full after a while. That's because i haven't always had the problem.
My second best guess is that it has something to do with the MSI motherboard/drivers (if that's even possible), because i have another computer with the same software configuration only Asus Motherboard, which has no problems at all. But that's a long shot since i haven't had the problem in earlier days.

Right now i'm getting to the point to wipe this PC completely and turn it (as a punishment) into a server, since i'm getting sick and tired of rebooting every hour to be able to work in a normal way.

So if anyone has had a similair experience and was able to fix it, please let me (us) know!

#3 techguy5

techguy5

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

You should do it through firefox so these popup windows do not open when you download the audio file. You can do that or turn on the pop up blocker in internet explorer. These pop ups would really slow down your computer though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users