Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot permanently change msconfig settings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

On my Dell XP Pro, msconfig lists a number of applications (not services) from 3rd party vendors, such as HP and QWest, scheduled to launch at start-up. Several times, I've unchecked these items, clicked APPLY, and then re-started my system; nevertheless, when my system has finally rebooted, Windows Task Manager shows them running, and I have to eliminate them in Windows Task manager.

So it appears that somehow, there is some application somewhere that is reversing (i.e. ignoring) my (new) settings I try to establish in msconfig. Is anyone familiar with this problem?

I can figure out several ways of dealing with this problem, such as changing the names of these annoying applications (e.g. from application.exe to application.eze) so they cannot be found (therefore cannot launch), but I'd sure like to know what software it is on my machine that keeps overriding my choices. And also how to change the start-up menu permanently without changing the names of the relevant offending programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

msconfig is a diagnostic utility. If you want to permanently manage startup items you should use a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml).
Uncheck whatever you don't want started in that app and let's go from there.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

The start with Windows is probably built right in to the programs in question. Thus the reason for it enabling itself time and time again.

The best way to disable them would be from with in the program itself. If the option is available. A start up utility program as mentioned by Allan is another option. And, of course last but not least. If you do not use the program then uninstall it.

#4 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I've been using the Mike Lin utility for a while on another computer, but I was not aware that it was more effective than msconfig.

There must be a file somewhere on my computer that lists programs and services to launch at boot-up. Anyone know the name of that file?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I've been using the Mike Lin utility for a while on another computer, but I was not aware that it was more effective than msconfig.

It's not that it's more effective, it's just that it's sole purpose is to manage startup items. Msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility

There must be a file somewhere on my computer that lists programs and services to launch at boot-up. Anyone know the name of that file?

Yes, msconfig

#6 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

WinPatrol is even better than the Mike Lin utility. Well worth downloading and playing with.

#7 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

Microsoft has a nice program you can use to edit startup/services called Autoruns. It is a free program you can download for Microsoft Technet. But you will want to be VERY careful what you disable as you could easily disable something necessary for your computer to function properly. Here's the link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

#8 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

Allen:

it occurred to me (naturally, a second after I clicked POST) that the list is in the registry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users