Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why? must Java Quick Starter reload?"every time"?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hmmph

hmmph

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Just a general question/Not a pressing issue: "Why" must Java Quick Starter binary (jqsnotify.exe) have access to the internet"every time" I open a fresh instance of my Fire-Fox browser. I noticed this 'need' after installing zone-alarm recently. I can understand if it is just trying to 'shake hands' or up-date, but not that thrilled with the notion that yet one more thing needs to 'phone home' incessantly, even when I already have other Fire-fox windows already open. Why can't I just do the odd update if required ? It just seems lame to me, even tough I know that by clicking 'allow +remember'it will become transparent and surely "quick". Any insight or work-around tips would be most welcome...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Java Quick Starter doesn't have to be running at all.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and restart your computer.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Java Quick Star, jqsnotify.exe, is not the same as java update. It is used, in theory, to speed up launching Java when it is called on for what ever reason.

As suggested by Broni, it can be disabled. I have mine disabled and have noticed no ill effects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users