Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frames to text w. formatting in Word '07?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

I hope this is an easy question for a change. :)

I have some personal documents (about 100 pages in a few .docs & .rtfs) created by ocr software and all the text seems to be in text-box like things called 'frames'. We need to change them into ... well, regular word-processing files without the frames.

Question:
In Word '07 (or Office '07), how do I move (or convert?) the text within the frames to formatted text in documents, please? :blink:

I think the frame-things are the biggest problem and I don't quite know the 'correct' question to ask, so here are a couple other possibile questions that might help someone find the answer I need: :wacko:

How do I remove the frames and keep the formatted text?
How do I remove the frames but keep the text with its font-sizes and indents?
I don't want the text-box things and I need to change the font anyway--what should I do to get the text and have as little formatting as possible to do after?
I don't know what frames are but they are in the way, and I don't need the old page numbers, or headers, or etc., but how do I get the words and still know what bits of the words are titles, chapters, italics, etc. (if possible) to make refomatting easier on me & Mrs FC after getting just the words?

Please write if you have questions or answers!
F&C :)

Edited by FrustratedCynical, 27 January 2011 - 09:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

I still need help but I found 1 part of the solution!

Happy update! :dance:

To get the text without the frames:
1. Turn on formatting marks in the document.
2. Make sure there is a paragraph symbol somewhere on the page before the frame of text (the text-box like thingy) you want to "convert".
3. Click on the text so the frame is outlined.
4. Move your cursor to the edge of the frame until it becomes a crosshair cursor (the cursor you get if you were going to drag-and-drop clip-art).
5. Right-click the mouse; a pop-up menu opens, click the choice "Frame Options" near the bottom of choices.
6. In the bottom-left corner of the next menu-box is a "Remove Frame" button--click that and you get the formatted text at the paragraph symbol in #2!

Problem Related Questions!
A. Is there an easy way to do steps 1 to 6 over-and-over again quickly, please?
B. How do I get Word to always show all graphics regardless of whatever "layer"(?) they are on, especially if they are transparent and covering something else?

(I have to go to work now--I will explain more of what I found later. :cold: )

F&C :dance:

Edited by FrustratedCynical, 28 January 2011 - 09:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users