Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Memory Message on New Win 7 laptop

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jennifer07

Jennifer07

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

I recently purchased a couple of new Dell Vostro 3700 laptops with Win7 on them in my office. One of them started getting a message about a week ago stating that the machine is low on memory and instructing the user to close all programs and shut down. This does not make any sense to me as it is a brand new machine with 4GB of memory available. Normally I would think the user had too many programs running, but he is getting it even when there are only a couple of programs running.

In the mean time, we purchased another Dell Vostro 3700. I went through the process of getting it set up. After I installed the final program, it gave me the same error message. I removed the program and installed a more up-to-date version. It seems to be working fine. So I figured the other was the same issue. I followed the same steps. It just got the error message agian. There goes my theory.

Any thoughts on what could be eating up the memory on a brand new machine?
Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

What program did you install that caused this?

#3 Jennifer07

Jennifer07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

The program I thought was the culpret was PGP. It does not seem to have the same effect on any of the other laptops though. The brand new one has not had the error again after installing the newest version.
Jennifer

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Was it a low paged pool memory issue or a virtual memory issue?

#5 Jennifer07

Jennifer07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

It is a Microsoft Windows message with the yellow triangle with an "!" in it. It says "Close programs to prevent information loss. Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs:" Then it lists whatever programs are running. At the bottom of the message it says "Windows will only close enough programs to restore needed memory."

The screen shot he sent me said to close Practice CS and CSA. Those are two of our accounting software that our entire firm uses. Also they are the only two programs he had running at the time.

In case you are wondering about the PGP program I mentioned, it is an encryption software that runs on the PC. It is not a program that the user actually opens up and uses.
Jennifer

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Please check to make sure your pagefile is enabled and set to "system managed".

Also, please read this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/08ecb6b8-a5b6-445d-a71e-65eafa9692e4/

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

the PGP Application actually has to run for you to use it.

Also what Virus Scanning software do you use?

#8 Jennifer07

Jennifer07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

I will check this. I am sorry to sound ignorant, but can you tell me where I need to go to check the setting on the pagefile? Also, after reading the attached forum I wonder, is there a deeper lying problem I should be worried about? Or is this just a case of the monitoring not having a high enough setting?
Jennifer

#9 Jennifer07

Jennifer07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Yes, that is correct with PGP. I was just meaning it was not a program he could open and do work in. I personally feel it does slow the machine once it is installed.

We are using Trend Micro for our anti-virus software. We recently upgraded to version 7. I also wondered from another forum I read earlier if we need to adjust some settings in Trend to give us better performance.
Jennifer

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

I will check this. I am sorry to sound ignorant, but can you tell me where I need to go to check the setting on the pagefile?

Sure. Control Panel - System - Advanced Settings - Advanced Tab - Performance Settings Button - Advanced Tab - What is the number just above the "change" button?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Depending on how much RAM the accounting software uses, the issue could lie in your choice of anti-virus software. Some virus scanners like Norton or McAfee can cause memory Issues.

Do you run the same version of Trend on all systems?

#12 Jennifer07

Jennifer07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

I will have to get back with you on the number. The user has taken the laptop on location with him right now.
Jennifer

#13 Jennifer07

Jennifer07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Yes, our Trend runs from the server level and pushes out to all network users.
Jennifer

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

I will have to get back with you on the number. The user has taken the laptop on location with him right now.

Okay

#15 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Have you been in touch with Dell Support? http://support.dell.com/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016