Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Streaming, but no shared files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SSShadly

SSShadly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

I have a Windows 7 PC attached to a router via LAN cable. I have a Vista laptop connected to the same router via wireless. I am trying to share files, media, etc. via a private network. I have all the sharing options in "Network and Sharing Center" toggled on for both computers. For the Windows 7 machine, I have shared all libraries, and an additional folder I shared via sharing, advanced sharing, named it and everying. The Vista machine is also sharing the My Documents folder.

If I go onto the Windows 7 PC, I can see the Laptop and the Media Center associated with the Laptop. I can access all the files, and play the media. Everything works fine.

When I go onto the Vista Laptop, I can see the PC and Media Center associated with the PC. I can play music, access pictures, etc. through the Media Center; however, when I click on the computer icon for the PC to view the files, I get an error message that says the path is invalid.

Why would I be able to play these files through the Media Center, but not access them through a directory pathway? I want to be able to access the PC's files through a directory path so I can call up these files in this way.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users