Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc still shutting down without warning. I'm running out of options

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 DerBear89

DerBear89

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

finally fixed my comp up with a new psu only to find that its still having the exact same problem. shutting down without any warning or bsod
so far i can check these off the list

not overheating
not the power supply
not graphics card
not the motherboard
not the processor

i mean what else can i check for? i have tried tons of suggestions and ideas from multiple webs sites and forums and nothing has seemed
to work. no matter what i do, when i least expect it it will shut off like some one tripped over the cord.
correction it will make a loud ERRRRRRRR noise for about a second then shut off. dont know how to spell a noise but there it is.
i have tried to have a lot of patience with this computer cause i built it myself, but i have my limits. everything else works great
there are no signs that anything is wrong it will just ... shut off

anyone out there, show me the light!

sorry if this posted twice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Is the CPU cooling fan clean and spinning correctly?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

So far, over the last 16+ years, I have seen bad power supplies, and bad motherboards cause total shutdowns/reboots without BSODs or freezes. How did you rule out the motherboard?

Usually everything else leaves clues.

Edited by dpunisher, 27 January 2011 - 03:33 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

So far, over the last 16+ years, I have seen bad power supplies, and bad motherboards cause total shutdowns/reboots without BSODs or freezes. How did you rule out the motherboard?

Usually everything else leaves clues.

the motherboard is brand new and the psu is brand new i was suspect of them being the problem before thats when i cashed in the warranties and got new ones
just put them in 72 hours ago.

#5 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

Is the CPU cooling fan clean and spinning correctly?

its flush on the processor and spinning fine nor is it dusty. i have a window in the side of the case
so i can check on everything

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

Obviously a tower then and a custom build.
Has it always done this? It sounds like it has.

Years ago I ran into something similar that drove me nuts for days.
Ended up being that the motherboard screws were down too tight.
I loosened up the screws a tad & the system worked fine.

Odd that it is making that noise. Can you determine where it is coming from?
There doesnt seem to be a time factor involved either.

I would take the system down to bare bones. Remove all add on cards (if any) keeping only video and memory.
Try it in safe mode as well.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

Obviously a tower then and a custom build.
Has it always done this? It sounds like it has.

Years ago I ran into something similar that drove me nuts for days.
Ended up being that the motherboard screws were down too tight.
I loosened up the screws a tad & the system worked fine.

Odd that it is making that noise. Can you determine where it is coming from?
There doesnt seem to be a time factor involved either.

I would take the system down to bare bones. Remove all add on cards (if any) keeping only video and memory.
Try it in safe mode as well.

this may or may not be a helpful hint it usually if not always happens during extreme gaming the problem with that is
im gaming all the time. however i do recall a time when it has done it when i was not gaming. im going to try loosening the
screws a bit that sounds like something that could work.
the sound weirdly enough is coming out of my speakers 0_o i dont know what to make of that
maybe it is the motherboard after all

#8 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

I'm no computer expert, just a consumer, so take this for what it's worth (maybe nothing).

I've recently assembled a computer. It worked fine with integrated (intel) graphics but when I put a graphics card in, it wouldn't boot. It crashed and wouldn't repair itself and did all sorts of weird and wonderful things (lots of different errors). The graphics card worked perfectly in a different computer. After googling and replacing the psu and motherboard, it turned out to be faulty ram. At one point, I ran ram diagnostics on startup but it didn't say anything was wrong, but when I took the ram back to the shop they said it tested faulty and replaced it.

So, in answer to your question as to what else you can test for, I'd suggest ram.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#9 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

I agree with tekchallenged about the RAM. Sort of following up on dpunisher's question, how did you eliminate the graphics card as the problem? This sounds very much like an overheating or faulty graphics card scenario.

#10 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

<edit>
I agree it does sound like a graphics card, and was wondering about how you ruled it out also, but wanted to think outside the box.. :whistle:
</edit>

Is the Sound Card a seperate card, or Integrated?

I would like to know the results, after you follow Eyesee's advice and strip down to bare bones and then test.

If the problem is mostly and usually happening during extreme gaming, have you considered the RAM. What mhz is it? Are the a Module that can be equipped with a cooling fan.

Another thing to try...have you tried using a different power outlet, and im not talking about the socket right below or above the one your currently using, but a different location all together. Also a new power cord? switch the monitor and computer power cables about, and see if it happens to the monitor..if its just shuts off you can figure it out from there...

Your example of "tripping over the power cord" scenario makes me think if the power cuts off that quick in your system that its not something the computer can detect and give BSOD about..

Your outlet might be giving out less than the regular 120V..called a brown out. Just another thing to toss about it your brain...

Edited by s1lents0ul, 28 January 2011 - 10:48 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#11 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

I agree with tekchallenged about the RAM. Sort of following up on dpunisher's question, how did you eliminate the graphics card as the problem? This sounds very much like an overheating or faulty graphics card scenario.

had a sofware that pushed it to the max forget what it was called but it ran it as hard as it could go with out overclocking. came up with nothing physically i dont no if anything is wrong

#12 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

<edit>
I agree it does sound like a graphics card, and was wondering about how you ruled it out also, but wanted to think outside the box.. :whistle:
</edit>

Is the Sound Card a seperate card, or Integrated?

I would like to know the results, after you follow Eyesee's advice and strip down to bare bones and then test.

If the problem is mostly and usually happening during extreme gaming, have you considered the RAM. What mhz is it? Are the a Module that can be equipped with a cooling fan.

Another thing to try...have you tried using a different power outlet, and im not talking about the socket right below or above the one your currently using, but a different location all together. Also a new power cord? switch the monitor and computer power cables about, and see if it happens to the monitor..if its just shuts off you can figure it out from there...

Your example of "tripping over the power cord" scenario makes me think if the power cuts off that quick in your system that its not something the computer can detect and give BSOD about..

Your outlet might be giving out less than the regular 120V..called a brown out. Just another thing to toss about it your brain...

i appreciate all the suggestions the sound in integrated 2x2 g ddr3 ram OCZ

#13 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

I gotta tell you guys, and im trying really hard not to get my hopes up. But i loosened the screws up on the motherboard and put
my comp to work. open itunes hardcore gaming speed fan internet all at once

and it has not shut off yet.... this could be the end of all my problems but i will let you guys know if
something happens. im kinda sorta getting excited that it is fixed but i'll give it some time.

#14 DerBear89

DerBear89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

well it went a whole two days without doing the random shut down but it had an incident today
it was definitely gotten less frequent since i removed the screws so who knows.

well it went a whole two days without doing the random shut down but it had an incident today
it was definitely gotten less frequent since i removed the screws so who knows.

#15 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

have you tried updating your video drivers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users