Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mistake with Combofix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kierlanar

Kierlanar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

Ok...so I was stupid and didnt pay attention to the warnings about ComboFix. I found where someone was having the identical problems I was and a tech told them to download and run combofix. The next post was that the problem was solved...so I followed the instructions to the letter. However, my computer started running SO slow after, I decided to delete it, and guess what, it wont let me delete it all. A folder called BackEnv wont let me delete it or even access it. I found nothing in the add and remove programs, so I did a search for combo fix and deleted what I found, then I started going hunting to find stragglers. Now I know there are stragglers, but I cant get rid of them.

Please help....I learned my lesson and will take it to the shop next time.

Thanks!

Kier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hi Kierlanar, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Try the following instructions.

Go to to Start > Run and type in

combofix /uninstall

Note: the space between the X and the /u

Press Enter.

This command will delete the following:

ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
VundoFix backups, if present
The C:\Deckard folder, if present
The C:_OtMoveIt folder, if present

* Reset the clock settings.
* Hide file extensions, if required.
* Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
* Reset System Restore.

If you still have an infection I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kierlanar

Kierlanar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

I tried that, and several other variations always making sure the space was in there. I am close to having it gone I think....all that is left that I can see is Qoobox and the BackEnv that is inside Qoobox. I should note that BackEnv is empty just keeps telling me access is denied when I try and delete it. Would it help if I just did a system restore back to a date before combofix?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Yes, that should solve the installation problem, but we don't know what other problem it made while it when it was run. If you can do the System Restore you should do as I suggested in my previous post. The Malware Removal Team are trained in the use of Combofix and are the best suited to help you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users