Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any danger using a computer with damaged usb port?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

I think I physically damaged a usb port on one of my computers (one port is physically damaged, and at least that port no longer works - I can't remember which don't work as I've pulled the computer to bits and can't check it) Is there any danger in using a computer with a mangled usb port or do I have to dispose of the motherboard and get a new one? Thanks for any advice.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

You should be fine - worst case, if you try to connect something it won't connect. If it was serious enough to cause a problem it almost certainly would have done so by now. But I have to ask - how do you damage a usb port? And if it's that damaged, how can you not know which one it was? Just curious :)

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

I was messing around with the computer and I turned it on its side when it still had a mouse dongle (and maybe something else) plugged in. It bent in the slot. One port is obviously damaged. You can see the damage because the others have little bits of black plastic on them and the mangled one is missing that bit of black plastic. The damaged port definitely doesn't work, but I can't remember whether some of the others also no longer work and which ones were dead. (I think the one next to it doesn't work but I can't remember whether the ones above them were dead as well. The ones below still work, I think.)

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

You could always get a USB hub to add more USB ports if you need them.
Check your local Big Lots or Dollar Store if you have one. They are only about 10 bucks.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

Yes, thanks. I'm not bothered about losing the port(s) and I've got hubs I could use if I needed more ports. I was concerned as to whether having a broken port does anything "electric-wise" that could blow up the computer or burn the house down. (You can see I have an excellent technical understanding...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users