Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run 2 Operating Systems on 1 PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 terrencej31

terrencej31

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hello to all!

I have an original installed version of Windows XP Pro on my HD. I now have a 2nd HD installed in the Computer case with it. I want to run both if possible. Not at the same time, but when it loads up I can choose which one I can run. I want one for my Pro Tools LE software and music only and other for everything else. One Hard Disk is using Sata cable and the other is using something that kind of looks like a ribbon. Is this possible to have the option to only load one at a time? Right now I keep opening my case and unplugging one on boot up. :angry:

Thank in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

You can install an OS on the second drive and have the option at boot which to load. Is that what you'd like to do? If so, do you have a second disk?

#3 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

You can install an OS on the second drive and have the option at boot which to load. Is that what you'd like to do? If so, do you have a second disk?

Yes, my wife has Vista and I was going to install that on my second Disk but right now I have XP on it. It was already installed on the Hard Disk.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

If this is a retail copy with a proper product code that hasn't been installed previously you shouldn't have any problem installing and activating it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Keep in mind Microsoft's EULA os one disk, one installation. If your wife has Vista installed on her system you are not permitted to install it on another machine. If you just want to leave XP on the second disk and have it as a boot option, here are the instructions from MS to edit your boot.ini: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Please keep in mind though that if XP was installed when the hd was on a different system it will NOT boot to your system (unless the two computers have identical hw). You could just do a repair installation of XP on the second drive (http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

If this is a OEM copy of Windows XP please read this advisory. The following is an excerpt from this article:

"New OEM restrictions initially affecting the top 20 Direct multinational OEM's.

As of February 28th 2005, all COA keys affixed to the computer case will have internet activation disabled. A mandatory phone call will be prompted to receive an override key after answering a series of questions which manually verify them as legitimate. >>More See 59 and 60>>> and More

This does not affect unbranded OEM versions purchased with authorized hardware through legitimate vendors. Branded OEM versions [I.E. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc..] purchased from eBay and other similar vendors will be affected and may lose the ability to activate the questionable copies."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Okay Thanks! So just because I have my cd and she has hers, it still can not be use? My hd was in my computer was only 80gb so they took it out and put a 1tb in so I want to put it back in. I don't mind if I have to run windows XP on both. I just don't want to keep unplugging one before I boot up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users