Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AJAX Things No Longer Work For Some Users...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

For some reason AJAX things on my site (such as edit post, shoutbox, etc.) no longer work correctly for some users (myself included).

Also posting a topic or replying to a topic will just have "undefined" as the message. This only started happening sometime yesterday or the night before.

Any suggestions? I've done a restore on my local PC back to the 23rd, and that didn't fix anything. It's every browser: FireFox, Opera, Chrome, IE. Happens on many different computers (all of mine do it - even PCs that haven't been turned on in a week or so.)

So far I know of it working correctly on 3 different computers, and messing up on about 7-8 others. Because it's not happening on EVERY computer, I think they rules out something server-side but I posted it here just incase. But then again, it appears to not be OS specific either. I've asked my host's support department and they were able to view it without problems. They said they would restore a backup of the database to see if that fixed anything - it didn't.

I have also checked permissions and even temporary gave everything connected to the forum 755 permissions.

Site URL (Mods feel free to edit, if it's against the rules but I don't see how to ask for help without linking): http://www.mgstruefans.com/forum/

Thanks in advance.

Info: MyBB 1.4.11 with custom security patches (what this means, is that it has all exploits patched up to the latest 1.6 version, but because of custom scripts it isn't 1.6)

I turned email validation off so if you would like to login and check it, simply create a test/dummy account and you won't need to activate it.

Edited by NpaMA, 27 January 2011 - 03:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

It appears to be caused or related to the http://cdn.wibiya.com/Loaders/Loader_274243.js script, which draws the annoying toolbar at the bottom of the window. Disabling the toolbar allowed me to register/post/use the shoubox/etc. with no difficulty. Enabling the toolbar again resulted in everything breaking.

Google suggests that MyBB and that particular toolbar have made a lot of people tear their hair out. Interestingly, all the links that point to the purported "solution" point to here. That used to be a discussion on the wibiya support/complaint board. It seems to have been deleted on January 21.

Someone else suggested that the conflict lies with MyBB using the Prototype JS library whereas wibiya uses the JQuery library and that you might be able to solve the conflict by adding this at the beginning of the toolbar's script:
jQuery.noConflict();

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

For some reason AJAX things on my site (such as edit post, shoutbox, etc.) no longer work correctly for some users (myself included).

No, in my country will Ajax also not working.
An Europe Football team, the best from the World in the years 70 is now a very bad Football team. :whistle:

Okay, about your problem: You tell that you have a problem with your site, you cannot edit posts etc., have you check your Windows Register.? How about the Windows Volume?
Is your hard disk not fragmented and how is the page file?
I do understand that you will confuse now, what I did wrote, I can tell you, that when the Windows Volume is bad or the Windows Register or when the hd. is fragmented and the page file, that the possibility is there that you get this sort things.
I think that it is smart, when you check all those things and running out, I do belief, when you do this, the problem what you have now, is solved.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:39 AM

It appears to be caused or related to the http://cdn.wibiya.com/Loaders/Loader_274243.js script, which draws the annoying toolbar at the bottom of the window. Disabling the toolbar allowed me to register/post/use the shoubox/etc. with no difficulty. Enabling the toolbar again resulted in everything breaking.

Google suggests that MyBB and that particular toolbar have made a lot of people tear their hair out. Interestingly, all the links that point to the purported "solution" point to here. That used to be a discussion on the wibiya support/complaint board. It seems to have been deleted on January 21.

Someone else suggested that the conflict lies with MyBB using the Prototype JS library whereas wibiya uses the JQuery library and that you might be able to solve the conflict by adding this at the beginning of the toolbar's script:

jQuery.noConflict();

That fixed it.

I can't believe that. lol. Wow. I never even suspected it was the toolbar.

As far as work arounds. I just removed it from the forum. It has no real use there and was just added to match the site, lol.

Also as a note it makes sense, considering I knew the person that it worked correctly for, uses the hosts file to block the wibiya bar. It also makes sense that my host's support department was probably using a firewall to do the same thing.

Thanks.

Edited by NpaMA, 27 January 2011 - 05:42 AM.

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

I never even suspected it was the toolbar.

Could be.

But if you're smart, than you doing what I did wrote and scan your drive for Viruses and other vulnerable.

You doing not wrong, if you follow my advice.

When I read this sort things, than have I the toughs of, toolbar and it is not possible for editing posts and whatever, there is more, I run all the things what I did wrote.
I playing for safe, you know.
The problem what you had, I must telling, that I have not and also not other nasty things.
Why not? Well, I maintenance my computer very well and check my system regular via the anti Virus scan and the others. :busy:

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

:thumbsup:

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

Thank you Andrew

Sometimes have I the though when I read messages from people just like the Topic starter here above, why does he not better maintenance the computer.
Many times read I messages from members with their troubles, troubles what is simple to fix.
It is only a question of regular maintenance the computer and watch what you download and install.
I think and I do believe when everyone knows what he or she doing, that people have little problems.
Problems of slow computer or just like the Topic Starter with his tool bar what gave an edit problem etc., is a problem of not watching what you doing.
I must saying that I can also make faults just like others, but the faults what I make sometimes, is not a disaster.
You and your colleagues will not see my often for Trojans or Viruses or other problems.
I have last year learned how I must trace a Hijackthis log and now I do know this, can I fix my problem self.
I ask only for help when I come not out or for the secure that I will know or my experience is right.
My opinion is: 2 humans do know more than 1 human.

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:26 AM

@RadioNorthsea:
1. I know about computer maintenance. It was pretty obvious it was something either on the site itself or the server it's hosted on. And no, the site has NOT been compromised.

2. I am not the best in computers. However I do have experience and went through a lot of troubleshooting, including being escalated to level 3 support at my webhost.

3. I did not have a "slow computer problem" I state clearly that it was a problem on the site. Not watching what I was doing, what? Are you trying to say, something I had messed up and then I came and asked for help? It's obvious since I posted that i needed help with something.

4. This has nothing to do with trojans, or any type of malware.

Thanks for your feedback, anyway.

---
@Andrew: forum is working great. I think it's even loading faster since removing the toolbar. I'll have to wait until I have free time, but I think I'll remove it from the site completely.

Edited by NpaMA, 28 January 2011 - 06:56 AM.

#9 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

I did not have a "slow computer problem" I state clearly that it was a problem on the site. Not watching what I was doing, what? Are you trying to say, something I had messed up and then I came and asked for help? It's obvious since I posted that i needed help with something.

4. This has nothing to do with trojans, or any type of malware.

On this quote, I will give my reply and I trying in short understanding.

Now was it a site problem, but I can tell you that in the most cases is it a Trojan or Adware problem, belief me.
I don't say this for give you fear, no I try only to say, the possibility is there, that there is maybe a Trojan.
Best friend, I can say you, that you are not the first when you have this.
Of course gave I your the though that you have a Trojan, my apologizes for this, I say this in general message.
I did mean, that when I was you, than I check my computer on possibility Viruses and other Vulnerable and I did give my opinion for maintenance; about maintenance: When the volume of the hd is bad or the Windows register is dirty or bad; whatever, the hd. is fragmented and yes of course is the page file also important, when the page file is fragmented, than the os take his time for reading the data, when you don't check all this things via the computer tools, than is the possibility there, that you get also problems with Internet and just like you, problems with editing etc.
Now was it the site, but for the same ............... , you know.

That you are not familiar with computers, mate that is not important.
It is important that you or whoever, check the computer.
What I tell you now, the sound of this is maybe strange, but the computer is my domain, I see the computer as women, if the man is good for his girl-friend or wife, than she stays with you and you have for years pleasure with her, but if you are not good for her, than she says, no no mister, I send you with holiday.
So is it with the computer just like women.
If the user is good for his computer, he take care that his computer is free of Viruses etc. and he checked regular the Windows register and other things, what I did call, than the user have for years very pleasure with his computer.

Personal note for the ladies: Dear ladies, I am sorry that I made a compromise with you, but I find that what I did tell, I am absolute right, so I hope that you are not angry with me.
Okay NpaMA, I do hope that you understand now better, what I did mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users