Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convince my Boss that no password on wifi is a bad Idea... (he is apple guy)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cbbeast

cbbeast

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

So my boss thinks his no password wifi network for our work group is totally safe. We have lost 2 computers to viruses of late and still I hear from them "are you sure that your not downloading a virus" when I do standard updates like "windows update" and "Secunia" software to update some older of our office computers vulnerable programs. Like my updating is somehow related to the problems.

HERE IS MY REQUEST.

Someone please write a reasonable letter to explain the importance of a password protected wifi network, as I have done my best.

(Side note, today one co-worker told me he was 'very angry' that his computer had been updated with newer versions of Thunderbird and Firefox. I replied that it's not really an option to run older versions safely")

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Have you used other arguments besides malware (of which I don't see the relation, unless you're implying someone is connecting to your WiFi network to infect your machines)?

- is your monthly download unlimited? If not, your boss will have to pay extra when your WiFi network is used by third parties to download large files, like movies.
- if a third party uses your WiFi network to commit a (cyber)crime and there is an investigation, you'll need to prove there was a third party, and that it wasn't an staff member who committed the crime.
- the information exchanged between your computers is not encrypted, a third party can eavesdrop.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

If unauthorized users are using the WiFi, there can will be a significant decrease of speed when using your Internet connection. That can impact work productivity.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users