Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netflix-Computer is Registering as Multiple Devices

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

I have been using Netflix for a few months. What I have noticed is that I will reach my device activation limit (6 is the max, I believe) rather quickly--specifically, it will tell me I have reached it after streaming 6 shows/movies. Apparently, my computer is being registered as a new device every time I stream a new show/movie.

I am wondering why this is, and how it can be fixed. The only solution I have found is to deactivate every device I have registered with Netflix (which is just my one computer I use for streaming)--only then will it allow me to watch another show/movie. This is a hassle, and if this is the only way, then that is alright. What I am most interested in is the reason my computer could be registering as separate devices like this. I can think of a few possibilities:
-Computer is registering by a dynamic IP address set by the ISP (I do not use a router)
-Computer is registering as a new device by some other means
-Silverlight is somehow acting fishy (which this does not seem like a local problem like a program on my computer)

It must be noted that the device ID number listed on Netflix is different with each registration of a new device (even though it is the same device every time).

I am currently in Louisiana. I am using Cox Communications as an ISP. I do not use a router. I pay my own utilities (so this is not an aprt complex-specific problem as far as I can tell). This same issue occurred when streaming on a friend's Netflix account, so it is not my account that is set up incorrectly.

Any ideas and/or solutions? Netflix's site offers no help with this matter.

Edited by HamSandwich, 26 January 2011 - 10:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Should I re-post this in another forum that is more populated or that deals with problems like this?

Any help is welcomed.

#3 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hello?

Should I repost this on the Windows 7 forums or what?

I would at least like to be acknowledged...

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

While we understand your frustration at not getting a reply that helps you resolve your situation. The lack of any response in indicative that it appears you have a unique problem that few if any have seen. It is unlikely that repost or moving this topic to another forum will garner a reply that helps you. However I am in this case suggesting that you post a duplicate topic in Windows seven forum, briefly outlining your issue and linking to this topic for more information and a response if they are able.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 RigorKrad

RigorKrad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

I'm having the same problem. Ive seen it happen twice
The first time I found multiple activations on both the pc and apples and I deactivated them and started over
It looked like it happened again on my mac mini just this week, I saw two Mac entries on my list
Other then thinking anytime you get a software update like a service pack or a silverlight.update costing you
An activation I have no idea how to permanently fix it. I haven't seen multiple entries on the iPad or the iPhone
And I ran software updates on those. I haven't seen any relation between a change of a local or a direct ip address and
Netflix duplicating it.

Okay so it seems to be limited to my Mac mini it's either because I switched to another hot spot or
Because I used instant watcher to play the title or it was an update. Not sure what's cause it

#6 RigorKrad

RigorKrad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:37 AM

Okay. I think it's a problem with links. If you go to Netflix to play a title it's ok. But if you follow the Netflix link off of instant watcher.com it burns you a device activation

Right now by using Netflix.com and intantwatcher.com I'm able to play two titles on the same machine at once

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users