Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable transfer of Files and Folderes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

I just keep thinkin!!! :wacko:

If I were to do a cable transfer using my usb transfer cable and two pc's both loaded with Win7 Home Premium. One brand new. Should I load the "other programs" (Windows Office etc.) on the new machine before I hook up and try the transfer?

With this last transfer that wasn't made clear. I went from XP Pro to Win 7 HP using an external HDD. I had to reconnect and run the xfer wizard twice to get all my email items transferred. Again after updating the Office package to SP3.

Soap :busy:
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

OK, my new 4G RAM stick is here. I want to load the Win7 HP OS upgrade tomorrow on the new Netbook (has Win 7 Starter). Can I use the files that I created with the Windows File Transfer Wizard and move all my documents and settings (clone this machine) or should I use a data transfer usb cable or just start from scratch?

Anyone know of any Pro's or Con's or Do's and Don'ts of each method.

Soap :crazy:
UFO pilot

#3 Librarat

Librarat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm not entirely clear in what it is you're trying to do...

Can you try to better explain this?

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

netbook is really only meant to run win7 stater ,full version win7 will over tax the cpu ,and video device ,making them run hot and eventually cause problem,or so they say.
so running full version win7 is not recommended on your netbook

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

I don't plan to "Game" on it. I have it loaded now and all seems well. This is primarily my "in transit" PC. I think it will be just fine. I actually think M$ should be embarrassed to release such crap as "Win 7 Starter". It is absolutely useless! (and isn't going to attract many folks to the full version!)

Soap :angry:

Edited by sudsy, 02 February 2011 - 11:12 PM.

UFO pilot

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

From what I have read, Win 7 Starter was basically MS`s answer to Linux which seemed to have the netbook market cornered.

As Caperjac said. Any other vers of 7 was to heavy on resources and would have proven a resource hog on most\all netbooks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users