Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Morning With Micro-star International

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:49 PM

I just had one of the most exasperating experiences, I called Micro-Star International long distance as they don't offer an 800 number, and after going through their automated menu for three minutes, I get to the automated recording for their technical support. Well, I did this three times only to have a recorded voice come on every thirty seconds to assure me that my phone call was important and to please hold for the next available...back to a rousing rendition of "A one horse open sleigh" played on a flute, and the cycle continues for another three minutes at which point they firgure that I should have hung up out of frustration and disconnect from their end.

I go through this two more times, and on the third try I actually get hold of a tech who promptly puts me on hold for three minutes, you should begin to see a pattern forming here, I'm wondering at this point if these guys are into numerology. Eventually the tech comes back to the phone and asks how he can be of service in his best Indian/Philippine accent, and immediately I realize that I'm not talking with a tech, but I proceed and ask my question regarding the compatibility of different makes of RAM...all I hear in the back ground are crickets...and then he starts into his spiel describing what my motherboard would like to have installed for RAM...now there is only the sound of crickets from my end of the phone...I now realize that all of my patience has been for not, and ask if there is any other way to obtain information for compatible models of RAM for this motherboard, and he starts into the spiel a second time...and I finally realize that I have been defeated and proceed to join him in his Montrose.

After recovering from my forced meditation, I began to question whether it would have been easier to have just gone through the email process and wait a couple of days for a response, so I go back to their web site and pursue this new endeavor. As I start to fill out all of the "required" fields of information, I once again realize they have beaten me again, and that this to is going to be a waste of emotional resources. There are questions such as "what is the serial number of your Northbridge chipset on you motherboard", "which inspection stamp is on the board, this can be found on the bottom side of the board"? I should have started waving my white flag as soon as they kept repeating that my email address wasn't valid, and saved myself the second session of meditation and chanting my Montrose.

As I wipe the drool from my face and try to rearrange the vapid expression on my face, I can't help but wonder...Am I on candid camera?

Edited by dc3, 13 December 2005 - 01:59 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

Funny..(unfortunately thats where all tech support is headed)
I feel your pain.I've had similar experiences with
tech support for my ISP.
I now have the number to the level 3 tech in Florida
who handles problems like me!

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

I have only been on line for a year, I started out with a small ISP out of Scaramento, Ca. where I soon got to know all five of their techs, their help was free and they were willing to help a newb like me. Several months down the road I thought I would trade up to a less exspensive ISP of whom we won't mention...caugh peoplepc caugh...who promised faster, safer, and less exspensive service. What a load, the first time I exceeded two hours on line I had a box pop up annoucing that I had ten minutes to re-esatablish my connection or they would disconnect me... :thumbsup: When I called and asked about this I was told that is was a FCC rule, rule I asked, I thought they had statutes or laws I said, their response...what ever, soon after that I was having connection problems that I eventually found out were do to their new software, but they would insist that it was my problem and wanted to charge me $2.99 a minute for "tech" support...you can guess the rest. Needless to say, shortly there after I went back to the more exspensive, much, much smaller user friendly ISP whos' only fault was not being able to download an enormous picture album last Christmas, heck...if it had been a meal, I'ld still be in the bathroom. :flowers:

Edited by dc3, 13 December 2005 - 11:27 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:23 AM

Hmmm... not quite as awful as your Tech (No) Support story but I had a strange problem where I got lost in the burocracy of my ISP. I had signed up for a one-way satellite connection which is the only way I can get broadband where I live. They put a small satellite dish on my roof as a receiver and change the phone line to ISDN for the uplink. I had to have ISDN first incase there were any problems they said. So they installed ISDN which gives me a 128Kbps internet connection going to 64Kbps if someone uses the phone. Pretty good compared to dial-up I thought. Then the excess usage charges started to appear. :thumbsup:
Anyhow, trying to keep to the point, I needed Tech Support to sort out why I was getting these high usages ('cause I wasn't). So I go through the "press one for dial-up, press two for broadband etc." and choose ISDN since that's what I'm on. After a few conversations with people who clearly don't know what I'm talking about (in terms of the connection type) I'm put through to someone who informs me that my account is inoperable because it is closed. "Huh? I only signed up two weeks ago!" I say. No, they check all my details and assure me my account is closed. I hang up nonplussed but these charges are still bugging me. "How can I be online and running up a bill if my account is closed?" I wonder. :flowers:
So I ring back. Go through much of the same rigmarole untill, by chance, stumble on someone who is thinking about what they are doing and they say "Even though you have ISDN your account is handled by Satellite broadband, not ISDN broadband (remember I don't have satellite yet) so I get switched through to them and wow! I do have an account! And they agree to re-emburse the excess charges (because they were in the fine-print that no-one told me about since I'd done all this over the phone). The problem of excess usage was never properly explained, but disappeared when the satellite was connected.
The explanation of the mystery of the closed account? (if anyone is still awake) When I "signed up" for satellite over the phone they mis-spelled my name (got an initial wrong) and I had forgotten that about 6 years ago I'd had a dial-up account with the same ISP. So when I rang up and quoted my name they happily pulled up my 6 year old file and told me I was having problems because my account was closed! Maybe they thought I had been on holidays for a while and only just thought to check? Or just woken from a Coma? Or just been released from Guantanamo bay? Happens all the time I hear. :trumpet:

I have to say the satellite connection is expensive but it works well, and the only time I had a problem the Tech support sorted it out in about 30 seconds. :inlove:

Sorry if I've hijacked your thread dc3.

Edited by Rimmer, 14 December 2005 - 12:33 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:46 AM

Hey Rimmer...I wrote this thread for two reasons, to relate how obtuse MSIs' customer support is, and release some of my frustration by adding some comic relief. But the bottom line is I was venting my spleen, and if that was the object of this post, then no you are not hijacking it by following suit. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users