Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't beep or startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WynterWolf

WynterWolf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

I am trying to figure out if I need to replace the motherboard or processor or both. The computer powers on, runs through the DVD drives and the fans come on but no beep and nothing but blackness. I have tested the monitor, just in case.

Here are the specs...
HP Pavilion A6050Y
4G Ram
Intel Pentium D925 3.0 Ghz, 4MB, 800mhz
400GB Hard Drive
256MB NVidia GForce 7500LE
Vista Home Premium

I'm thinking the processor but my ex-husband was the comp tech (we no longer speak... lol) and I have just enough knowledge to be completely dangerous. I can replace the processor myself but I am not crazy about messing with the motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

Did you made any hardware changes?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 WynterWolf

WynterWolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

No changes made.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

It sounds like you're getting power to the computer, can you open the optical drive tray? If so try the following.

I'm guessing that this is a custom build? If this is the case do you have the installation CD for your copy of Vista? Place the CD in the optical drive and restart your computer. If it loads the operating system then it's either a problem with the hdd or the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Also try reseating the memory and video card as well as all cabling.

What prompted this? Anything unusal? Power go out or anything?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 WynterWolf

WynterWolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

Unusually, it's not a custom build. I used the bootable diagnostics cd. The drive opened and the cd read but nothing happened except for a disturbing roaring noise. I'm really leaning toward the processor now. I reseated the memory and checked the video card to no avail.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Did anything show on the monitor?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 WynterWolf

WynterWolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Absolutely nothing on the monitor. The roaring noise was from inside the computer not the drive. The drive started to read but that was it beside the noise. I haven't made any changes. I have the feeling that the processor overheated. My boyfriend and my nanny (also male) moved it to the carpeted floor a while back. I don't think it was getting enough airflow. With my work schedule, I hadn't had time to blow it out. When I opened the case it looked pretty dirty. Ewwwww. Sorry, being girlie.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

Let us know what happens after you clean out the dust bunnies.:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users