Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad Wrongfully Flagged off of Website for free ads

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vbnty

vbnty

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

I have had an ad up in a free classified ad website for over a year. No problems of any kind. Then someone put up an ad similiar to my ad and told me that they were going to flag my ad off; and they did flag it off. When ever I put my ad back up they flag it off again and in just a few minutes time. This is my competition doing this. I was told by this person that they were going to flag my ad off the site. I did some research and yes ONE person can flag an ad off by using some type of automatic flagging software which changes the IP address; so they can flag an ad repeatly. It does not take a certain amount of different people to get your ad removed. Does anyone know how this problem can be prevented or what I can do about it?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by Andrew, 26 January 2011 - 08:30 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved From Speak Easy - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vbnty

vbnty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

I am really surprized no one has given me any answers about what to do about this problem.
I know there are alot of people in here that are very educated in this type of thing.
Hope someone can give me some answers with this problem soon. Thanks:)

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

The only suggestion that comes to my mind is to contact the management of your un-named classified ad website and let them know what is going on.

They will be your best source on how, if possible, to stop it.

#4 vbnty

vbnty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

The site is Craigslist and they do not answer any emails. The ads are free. I did contact them many times.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Sorry. But out of ideas.

Had something similar happen to a Friend. Turns out he was simply posting in the wrong section. But this does not seem to be your case. I am really not sure how anyone else here at BC may be able to help you since it is the owner\operator of Craigslist that sets the policies, makes the rules and programs the board software to do what it is doing.

#6 vbnty

vbnty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Thank you for your response. But, That is not the way it works in CL. The owner/operator of CL has nothing to do with the flagging after he puts it into his software. It is all done by his computers. There are only a hand full of workers at CL. They do not read emails, or flag items. Flagging is done by the bad guy. When he buys a auto flagger software program it automatically changes his IP address; then he keeps flagging until his competitors ad is removed. One CL user can only flag one time with the same IP address. So then comes in the software. Therefore my ad and other ad listers whose ads have nothing wrong with them are being flagged down by an autoflagger software program/competitor. I see the answers of the people in BC and they really know what they are talking about. I will just have to wait until one comes along that will understand this problem and can tell me what I can do about it. Since I am not one of the bad guys I am not going to buy the automatic flagging software and flag his ad. But, I was hoping that there might be some kind of software that could block my ad from being illegally flagged by his auto software. Thank you :)

#7 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hi, I believe that ThunderZ does indeed understand your problem. We cannot help you because there is nothing to do to stop another person from running that "auto-flag" program. The admin of Craigs List is the only person (people?) that can do anything about it. What you are asking is along the same lines as someone on this forum trying to get someone else banned without the use of an admin. It is just not possible.

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

Although this is not a solution by any means, you could post it under a different but related category. You could also list it under the craigslist for a nearby city(with 20-30 miles or so).

As I said, it's not a solution but it would at least give you some advertising.

Edited by NpaMA, 30 January 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#9 vbnty

vbnty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Yes, the bad guy should be permantely removed from the free ad site! Yes, I fully understand that the only person that can do that is the CL administration. I have been on the internet for more than 10 years. My ad was up on CL for more than a year with out a problem until this competitior told me they would remove my ad with auto/flagging software. The thing that I need is to be able to find out how I can get software on how to stop this person from illegally flagging my ad with auto flagging software. I have had 5 offers to purchase auto flagging software to remove the bad guys ad but, that is not the way I do things. Thanks NpaMa for the tips, I will try that.

#10 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

Sorry to tell you, but you cant "block" your ad from being flagged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users