Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Axtivex Blocked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DickWelf

DickWelf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:50 PM

I'm not able to open some programs and/or pages due to ActiveX and IE Information Bar being blocked. I've tried all of the Microsoft remedies that I can find and so far nothing works. MS XP SP2 and IE 6.
In DIRE Nedd Of Guidance!
Thanx
DickWelf
Go Huskies-Seahawks

Edited by DickWelf, 13 December 2005 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

The blocking may not be being done by IE. What security programs do you have on your system? (anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall - please list the exact names)

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 DickWelf

DickWelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

Antivirus-TrendMicro 2006
Antispyware-Trend Micro 2006
Firewall-Microsoft Antispyware

All of these were installed and working before Activex and IE Information Bar were blocked around 10-20-05. I noticed when I went to MS and/or Windows update and everything was blocked.

DickWelf

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:37 AM

Active X settings are accessable in the "security" section of "internet options" accessed by clicking on tools/internet options, click the security tab, click "custom level"

under Active X controls and plugins choose "prompt"

"Download unsigned Active X controls" - choose disable

"Initialize and script Active X controls not marked as safe" - choose disable

"Run Active X controls and plugins" - choose enable

"Script Active X controls marked as safe for scripting" - choose enable

Click "OK"

Click "OK" again.

Microsoft Antispyware is a anti-malware beta, not a firewall.

You are probably using the Windows XP firewall, but if you are it is suggested you replace it with a freeware firewall such as Zonealarm SE or Sygate because the XP firewall only protects against incoming threats, not outgoing and gives you no warning about threats such as trojans, phone homes, etc.

The Zonealarm SE freeware firewall and the Sygate freeware firewall will both give you both incoming and outgoing protection.

Software firewalls with freeware versions
Free Zone Alarm SE: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp...;NONE?lid=ho_za

Sygate: http://www.sygate.com/

What do you mean by "IE Information Bar"?

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 December 2005 - 01:44 AM.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:12 AM

Trend Micro Internet Security includes a firewall, you don't need to download another one. I'm not sure it includes anti-spyware. I'm running the 2004 version, fully updated, and it has no anti-spyware function.
If the Trend Micro firewall is enabled turn off the Windows firewall as it is redundant.

I'd suggest you install some anti-spyware protection:

Do you have a range of anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and all the anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 DickWelf

DickWelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

To Enthusiast and Rimmer;

I have Trend Micro 2006 and in it they have Antivirus, Antispyware, AntiFirewall Antifraud, Antispam, Antiphishing sections to there new PCC-2006. The Information Bar is what sometimes pops up to keep a page or File from loadingin Internet explorer, you can click on it and then it will open.

I retract about MS Antispyware, I don't have it installed at this time.

Thank You
DickWelf

Edited by DickWelf, 14 December 2005 - 04:25 PM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

I still recommend doing what I said in post #5.
The rule is:
Use 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

Have you run Windows Update recently? If not, do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users