Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horrible Dell 17R LAPTOP ISSUES

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hemiguy702

hemiguy702

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Hello guys and gals!

I have been a tech for quite some time. However before I explain the issue I believe to issue is a (BAD CMOS TIMER) but twice? Isn't this a rare occurrence?

Anyway, my dad bought a new Dell 17R (I can't remember the exact model). He used it for 3 months, then came home one day and attempted to bring it out of hibernation from windows 7. Upon doing so the unit shut down quickly. When he attempted to turn it back on, the unit would not display its normal POST message from the bios of specs. It hought maybe the display had gone bad a s a freak thing and attempted to hook up via both HDMI and VGA outs. No avail. But upon closer inspection I noticed the HDD light was blinking at not a read/write pace, but a rather constant and quick flash and a flickering sound corresponding to the flash.

I thought maybe the North-bridge had gone bad? Or a controller issue? but I removed the HDD and the same issue took place, minus the flashing light!?!@

I opened the RAM door and removed the the stick from DIM2 the same issues, I removed the stick from DIM1 to DIM2 same issue, I took the stick that I removed originally from DIM2 and put it in DIM1 same issue, then moved that from DIM 1 to DIM 2, same issue. So I have taken the RAM and HDD out of the equation thus far.

I called dell, complained, they gave me grief and didn't wanna help, I eventually got them to mail me a NEW motherboard as I feared that it was a controller or bios issue.

They sent the new MOBO out, I put it in the laptop and it booted perfectly. Then I restarted from windows 7 after installing some new updates and the unit gave me four short beeps in a 3 stage 4-4-4 PAUSE 4-4-4. This leads on Dells to either a memory issue or CACHE issue. I resat the memory it started this time into windows ok, I ran some tests and benchmarks made sure it was all up to order before the final screws went in... and then shut down the unit fully... left it for about 15 minutes to grab a snack and take a break. I came back in and started her up one last time..... and the HDD flash light and speaker flickering sound was back ON THE NEW MOTHERBOARD!???!@@?!@! I went out to the store, bought new memory and did the swap test, it still gave same results, new HDD old HDD no HDD same results... keyboard and mouse connected or disconnected from the MOBO same issue.....

I then took the final measure of removing the CMOS battery, battery, and A/C plug and ran 0 power into the unit for 2 minutes....

Then it started, got into post, I changed the date/time settings and got into windows 7 fine!

I ran intel's processor diag program, it passed with flying colors, memory leak and performance test showed clear, and the CPU memory cache test proved to be perfect as well! 3Dmark06 ran the benchmark perfectly fine with decent laptop results.... :P

The burn-in test cleared ok, I restarted the computer after the test, did a restart loop fine and booted back into windows 7.... I ran it for like 3 hours fine!

Then I turned off the unit fully went out to dinner with the folks and then came back turned the machine on and were at the same point again, the constant and fast HDD light and the flickering sound from the speakers....

I have repeated many steps, but the only one that can get this laptop into windows again is pulling that CMOS battery and putting it back in... I think the CMOS timer is bad....

Dell is willing to take the item to their service center somewhere and do a once over on it and replace any parts but at a time frame of 4-5 weeks, my dad doesn't wanna wait that long, its his business laptop. Is there something I am missing?

Its strange to have the same occurrences on two different motherboards... however I should say the "NEW" MOBO that dell sent was actually a REFURBISHED board!

Thanks guys,
-Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hemiguy702

hemiguy702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

No ideas?

Here is a video showing the issues and what I do to make it function...

#3 hemiguy702

hemiguy702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

No body knowS!!!???

#4 hemiguy702

hemiguy702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Really?

#5 hemiguy702

hemiguy702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

No1 knows

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Sorry Hemiguy702. But since the machine would still seem to be under warranty, irregardless of Dell`s Customer Service, or lack their of, it is still your best course of action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users