Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a hard drive clone, OS and all.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jason S

Jason S

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

My father is having problems installing windows XP on his desktop computer. I am having trouble explaining it to him over the phone, and he refuses to contact tech support. I had the idea this morning to just buy a cheap HDD, and clone mine, OS and all, and just mail it to him. Problem is, I don't have an XP install disc. The goal is to make an exact copy, without having to re-install everything, and with no boot disc. Is this possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

It won't work. You can't take a drive from one system (original OR clone) and use it on another and expect it to work unless both systems have the exact same hardware.

#3 Jason S

Jason S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Lets say they do have the same hardware, (i built them at the same time, they use to be servers and they are identical)Drivers shouldn't be an issue. Is it still impossible?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

If all of the hardware is truly identical then yes, it should work - though it's iffy if it is in contravention to Microsoft's EULA

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

If all of the hardware is truly identical then yes, it should work - though it's iffy if it is in contravention to Microsoft's EULA

Technically, yes, it would be considered to be.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Technically, yes, it would be considered to be.

Well, I think it's really a grey area. Apparently his father does have a copy of XP with what will be an unused license. I'm really not certain what MS would say.

Edited by Allan, 26 January 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#7 Jason S

Jason S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Yes, he does have a copy of XP, which he is trying to install on what i believe to be a corrupt Hard Drive. He uses his computer for similar purposes as me, so i thought it would be simple enough to just clone my hard drive onto a new one, and send it to him. However, it seems that this plan would be much more complex than if i were just to send him a clean HDD and tell him to install windows on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users