Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have $500-600. Please help on hardware.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 cpotter

cpotter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:54 PM

Well... This is a tribute to Woody's recent thread regarding building a $1500 computer. Since reading the mulitple posts, I have decided on building one of my own. However, I do not have the funds that Woody has. But on the other hand, I don't currently do any gaming.

I have had an IBM earlier Pentium desktop until recently. It was about 3 yrs old. Almost any problem that could go wrong with it went wrong with it. Will never buy an IBM product again. It basically served my needs, and planned to buy a low to mid range Compaq this time in the range of $500-600 (computer only). I have decided to build as I have tinkered with computers all of my life, but have never built one from scratch. I'm also guessing that I can build one for a similar amount, but improve on components over standard store bought computers. Some sites I've visited do not support this though, stating that Dell and Gateway can sell you one for cheaper that you can buy one.

Regarding my usage. I guess I'm a standard user in most respects. Primarily use is internet/email. Do not do any gaming. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it, but time demands with my job and family do not allow gaming. I'm definately a mulitasker with multiple windows open at once. My job involves looking at multiple JPEG images in a stacked mode (low resolution of approximately 40KB x 200 images). Loading that many images was sometimes a memory burden on my IBM desktop (384 MB) and current laptop (192 MB).

I guess the initial questions I have are:

1) Can I build a system at this price range and improve on my components?

2) Are there any websites that help, step by step with first times builders? Looking through Woody's thread, I checked out a yahoo link as well as one other that had some decent info for first time builders. Would like to find some additional help. I will have internet access with my laptop during the build.

3) Hardware issues:

Glanced at pricewatch.com. Am I better off buying a motherboard and CPU seperate or getting a MOBO/CPU combo? Just for starters, pricewatch has several MOBO/CPU combos with Pentium 4 (between 2.6 and 2.8) with fan for under $200. Will have to do some research, as items may be at less reputible online sellers.

I have decided that I would like to build with a Pentium 4 over a Celeron or Sempron. But from Woody's post, I gather that I may be able to go with an AMD processor over a Pentium, get roughly the same performance at a cheaper price. Any thoughts? And if AMD is the way to go, what CPU matches fairly close to a 2.8 pentium 4?

Memory: I'm thinking that I will need a minium of 512. May want to go with 1 Gig. But not sure. When picking out memory, do I only have to worry about speed and pin type to match? One of the posts on Woody's thread indicated this. But I attempted to upgrade memory on my previous IBM. Had a difficult time, until I got direct help from the retailer. This may be due to the fact that I had an IBM, which suggested getting proprietary memory.

Optical drives: I have an old CD writer (4X - Don't laugh) on the IBM. This is basically worthless. Would like to put in a DVD writer, which will probably boost price a bit. Would guess I would need a DVD writer in one bay and a standard DVD Rom in the other to play DVD's and burn both CD's and DVD's. Do not do a lot of burining, so don't need top of the line. Any suggestions as to brand?

Audio/video: At my price range, I'm sure that I will have to live with built in audio/video on MOBO. But would like the ability to upgrade at some point.

Hard Drive: Old IBM had at 20 Gig. Never filled it. Could reuse it, but it is 3 yrs old. Thought getting a new 40 Gig would be appropriate and adding the 20 Gig as a slave.

Case: Don't need anthing exotic. In Woody's post there was a link to: AsiaPro ASYS Blue/Silver ATX Mid Tower Case With 450W PSU, Model "180 BEIGE/BLUE" .
This seems reasonable at a good price. Any other cases along this line to choose from? Would I need to upgrade PSU? Add additonal fans to this case?

Card Reader: Have an olymus digital camera that uses SmartMedia and xD. Thought about putting in a card reader, but this is not necessary. Could continue to use the USB connection. Primarlily use the xD card. Just a thought.

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

Sorry this is such a long post. Just wanted to explain my thoughts so far. Thanks ahead for any info you are able to provide. Looking foward to building my first. Thanks..

Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:12 PM

I know of a step by step ebook on how to build a good pc for 500.00 if you would like id post it. It aint free and I dont sell it but I think it might come in handy....Just ask Ill check in here...O and its ok for the long post! Just to say long informative posts are better than short non detailed posts! No biggie!
A card reader would be nice! I have hp all in one printer with it built in! So much easier than usb to the cam!

Good places to get the parts cheap!
www.newegg.com
ebay
http://www.qksrv.net/click-1569720-5463217?loc=www.ebay.com

My tip go to newegg and get a case. If your not picky you can get a good one for 30bucks!
Go to ebay for the best deals on your hardware!
A 30gig hd wont cost you much on ebay or newegg!

About the dvd write your going to need more money or less of a pc in your profit range I would say. Its all up to speed but a dvd write min price is around 100.00 all the way up to over 200.00 and good dvd drive(needed to burn dvds unless you want to send to hd first then resend to dvd!) might cost you 30 bucks(aint bad!) Wait wait a sec!!!! look below
But I just looked a dvdrw/dvdr drive from toshiba is only 69.99! At ebay might be cheaper I got this price from
www.tigerdirect.com another place to get pc parts!

For memory you need the same name brand in both chips if thats what your meaning. Some chips dont work with each other(a IBM chip might conflict with a HP chip). Some chips work together if not the same name brand. Ram isnt too much but a 1gb would cost you a min of 154.00 maybe less on ebay. A ddr chip 256mb on tiger site 24.99.....
Hope I have helped! If you need anymore ill be around here somewhere!

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:12 AM

Hi, cpotter Welcome to BC

Can I build a system at this price range and improve on my components?

Yes. Mine has cost me about 600.00 to date. Not counting a 150.00 for a multi-function peripheral (Lexmark 5150 copier/printer/scanner/fax). I started with it 19 months ago, prior to that I never had my own PC. I've had very few hardware related problems. Lotta software ones, though. LOL. 1.73 Ghx AMD Processor, nVidia nForce chipset. A lot of people swear by them. I would recommend one.

Are there any websites that help, step by step with first times builders? Looking through Woody's thread, I checked out a yahoo link as well as one other that had some decent info for first time builders. Would like to find some additional help. I will have internet access with my laptop during the build.

Information is available , but I haven't seen any step-by-steps of the entire process, exactly. We can do it here. Woody's thread isn't done yet, and a hardware tutorial is in the pipeline.

Optical drives: I have an old CD writer (4X - Don't laugh) on the IBM. This is basically worthless. Would like to put in a DVD writer, which will probably boost price a bit. Would guess I would need a DVD writer in one bay and a standard DVD Rom in the other to play DVD's and burn both CD's and DVD's. Do not do a lot of burining, so don't need top of the line. Any suggestions as to brand

I have a DVD-Rom in one bay, a CD-RW 52x-24x-52x Sony that I paid 49.99 for at Office Depot in another. Case adapts for two more if I like. If I were starting out, I'd buy a DVD-RW which would do it all. Your worthless 4x at least burns a 700MB CD. I'd mount it, plug it in and use it in case the main goes hay-wire at any time. (usually right when ya' need to burn a quick CD)

Audio/video: At my price range, I'm sure that I will have to live with built in audio/video on MOBO. But would like the ability to upgrade at some point.

The video card I just installed cost 44.00, a 64MB Chaintech nVidia GeForce MX 400. Gamers wouldn't give it high marks, but it does eliminate a 32MB drain on my 512MB memory card that the on-board video causes. The sound card onboard this MSI mainboard does fine, considering I drive a pair of headphones with it.

Case: Don't need anthing exotic. In Woody's post there was a link to: AsiaPro ASYS Blue/Silver ATX Mid Tower Case With 450W PSU, Model "180 BEIGE/BLUE" .
This seems reasonable at a good price. Any other cases along this line to choose from? Would I need to upgrade PSU? Add additonal fans to this case?

I have a gray case that was about 50.00. It will handle upgrades for me over the next 4-5 years, probably.

Card Reader: Have an olymus digital camera that uses SmartMedia and xD. Thought about putting in a card reader, but this is not necessary. Could continue to use the USB connection. Primarlily use the xD card. Just a thought.

This is an area I haven't done any research. Haven't needed to. I have several USB 2 connections. I can upload from a friend's digital camera easily enough.

So, anyway... I decided to spend an hour at newegg, thinking I'd want a little better than I have now.

new egg This page is where I started. Mainboard. Use the search functions, maybe I clicked "home" and "products", but you'll get the hang of it.
  • 53.85 Lite-On Silver ATX Case with 400W P4 Ready Power Supply and Front USB Ports, Model "HT 761S" -RETAIL
  • 63.00 MSI "K7N2 Delta2-LSR" NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL
  • 136.00 AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 400 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM
  • 78.00 Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
  • 51.00 CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB ...
  • 28.99 Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Ca...
  • 8.29 Encore 56K Internal PCI Fax Modem, Model ENF656-EHW-INPR - Retail
  • 69.00 Lite-On 8X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive w/ NERO and PowerDVD Software, Model SOHW-832S BLK, OEM
  • 6.50 Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LBL1, OEM Drive Only
  • 76.00 Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y120L0, OEM Drive Only
  • 23.99 Microsoft Black IntelliMouse Optical Mouse -OEM
594.62 plus shipping/handling & tax, a little overbudget. You wouldn't have a new monitor or keyboard. Some misc. stuff might be needed, what is usually refered to as "accessories", a couple fans probably...

It would be a quantum leap beyond an earlier IBM pentium desktop IMO

Its a start list. I could debate each entry the same way I do the files in a HJT log, but why... we can discuss them right here. Studying it might reveal some minor inconsistancies. At this hour I don't think so. I don't buy online simply because I don't use credit. I use retail new & used stores locally. I do know how to get around having a run-of-the-mill PC that will give you more headaches than any build your own will. Build it yourself, and you become your own customer assistance person. You have to do it, then you'll know. Like posting at a forum (this one took 45 minutes), ya gotta start somewhere, and you've described your use factors well enough. It boils down to what your're comfortable with. Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

:thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:04 PM

Good tips phawgg! 600.00 aint bad is it? Yeah if you need any help were here to help you through it! You wont find anyone on any other forum that will help you like we all will(all the bc memebers shake heads in aggrement!?)
Just keep asking and we will keep answering em!
CGM3

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:44 PM

Buy the largest case you can for the money; they are much easier to build in.
Picture ediiting is a RAM hog, so opt for one GIG if your budget can afford it.; you could scrimp on your HD---40-60Gigs is more than sufficient, especially if you plan to store your pictures on disk when you have finished.
If you take your time and are not in a hurry to replace the old computer, you can sometimes find very good buys locally at Best Buy, Microcenter, etc., when certain components are on sale or in the midst of being cleared for newer products (rebates can really reduce the cost).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:35 PM

The Yardstick
Measuring PC performance & capabilities is what you're thinking about when building one. Do this step right, and the parts will fit together, the results will please you, and the inevitable surprises will likely be pleasant ones.

The Everest report, lavalys.com, or it's predeceser, AIDA is comprehensive to such a degree you'd be startled at your ignorance when first encountering it. Relax, there is a lot of redundancy in it. The key items are written in the language that people who sell the hardware speak, though. You need to see how it all makes for the "big picture"

I'm learning, and I edited a report of my PC. This is the half of it. The further you get into it, the greater the detail about things that you don't particularly need to know. The location of each and every device, for instance. You should know that your mainboard will handle what you want now, and have some expansion capability, too.

I've noted some thoughts next to some entries, for consideration when thinking about the PC past, present & future. I suggest running the report software on any machine, by anyone. It's free.

Comparing the present (black) with the future (blue). I'll leave the order of the report as is, and paste in the similar info taken from new egg product specs yesterday. Please note, I'm learning so the (?) indicate the kinds of questions I'd ask facing decisions. From a practical, common-sense point of view, I'd get no less than 120GB drive, at 20.00 more than a 40MB drive its the cheapest expansion plan going, and the system should be built with as few "bottlenecks" as possible. This kinda set-up can easily warrant HD space. Remember, winXP takes 1.5 GB, system restore can double it. Defrag needs 15% to work, and is faster on smaller partitions of a bigger drive. The 40GB actually is more like 37.5, and the 120=114 in reality. Page file systems operate on percentages, too. The bigger the better for their operation along side of big RAM chips. BTW, mp3's & video files along with big .bmp & lottsa .jpegs can sit quite well with adequate space, and the processor can batch move lottsa GB's faster on a spec'd PC like this. Regarding memory, I'd buy 512, and the install of another 512 or two will take 10 minutes in the future. I also agree with jgweed about the case. I do have mine in the larger of the two available sizes (tower & mid-tower, basically) and its quite spacious. The trade off might be in power supply that you get... (like mobo/chipset , case/PSU are popular options to buying each separately). 400-450W is a lot. I think I have 300W, and I've never had issues with it. Accessories & bigger/additional fans (maybe 30.00 worth of 'em) and newer stuff (ie:HDs) can take more right off the bat, and graphics intensive photo-editing software/hardware add-ons might need more juice, too. 300-400 seems safe enough.

Comparing a 600.00 PC with a 600.00 PC sorta, to the extent of my understanding/patience

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2004-09-24 most recent reloading of it

Computer: Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional more details
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1733 MHz (13 x 133) 2100+
CPU Type AMD AthlonXP, 2.1GHz (?? x???) 3000+
Motherboard Name MSI K7N2 (MS-6570) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 ACR, 3 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Name MSI "K7N2 Delta2-LSR" (?) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 SPP
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-sFSB: 400/333/266MHz
System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
System Memory 512MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (01/16/03)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (probably MS Driver) (128MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Monitor Compaq S710 [17" CRT] (037CG43HC314)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6E040L0 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120P0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive _NEC DV-5800A (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive SONY CD-RW CRX220E1 (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 39205 MB (32590 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 36240 MB (34623 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 80999 MB (79961 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

Network:
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (64.40.54.118)
Modem HSP56 MicroModem

Peripherals:
Printer Lexmark X5100 Series
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB Controller
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB Controller
USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device Lexmark X5100 Series
USB Device Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

BIOS Properties:
Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version 6.00 PG
Release Date 01/16/2003
Size 256 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, AGP, USB

System Properties:
Wake-Up Type Power Switch

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Product MS-6570

Chassis Properties:
Chassis Type Desktop Case

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method 8-bit Parity
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns
Supported Memory Types SPM, EDO
Supported Memory Voltages 5V
Maximum Memory Module Size 32 MB
Memory Slots 3

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer AMD
Version AMD Athlon™ XP
External Clock 133 MHz
FSB: 400/333/266MHz (?)
Maximum Clock 2200 MHz
3100 MHZ (?)
Current Clock 1733 MHz
2600 MHz (?)
Type Central Processor
Voltage 1.5 V
Voltage 1.65V
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation Socket A
Socket Designation Socket A

Cache Properties:
Type Internal
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Write-Back
Maximum Size 128 KB
Installed Size 128 KB
Cache: L1/64K+64K
Supported SRAM Type Synchronous
Current SRAM Type Synchronous
Socket Designation Internal Cache

Cache Properties:
Type External
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Write-Back
Maximum Size 256 KB
Installed Size 256 KB
Supported SRAM Type Synchronous
Current SRAM Type Synchronous
Socket Designation External Cache

Memory Module Properties: (one of three)
Socket Designation A1
Speed 60 ns
Installed Size 512 MB
Enabled Size 512 MB

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Size 512 MB
Size 512 MB
Device Locator A1
Bank Locator Bank2/3
Manufacturer None
Serial Number None
Asset Tag None
Part Number None

CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP 2100+
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
CPU Alias Thoroughbred-B
CPU Alias Barton
CPU Stepping B0
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon™ XP 2100+
CPUID Revision 0681h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1729.83 MHz
CPU Multiplier 13.0x
Process: 0.13Micron (?)
CPU FSB 133.06 MHz

Memory Bus 133.06 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
Cache: L1/64K+64K
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 01/16/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BM49C-00
Motherboard Name MSI K7N2 (MS-6570) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 ACR, 3 DIMM, Audio)

Chipset Properties:
CAS Latency (CL) 2.5T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 6T

SPD Memory Modules:
Xerox (512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM) 512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (CL 2.5 @ 133 MHz) (CL 2.0 @ 100 MHz)
Corsair (512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 01/16/03
Video BIOS Date 06/16/03
Award BIOS Type Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message W6570MS V3.2 011603 10:28:22
DMI BIOS Version 6.00 PG

Graphics Processor Properties:
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0)
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
GPU Code Name NV11 (AGP 10DE / 0110, Rev B2)
GPU Clock 200 MHz
Memory Clock 155 MHz

Sensor Properties:
Tsystem 33 °C (91 °F)
Tcpu 40 °C (104 °F)
Fcpu 4688 RPM
Fcase 1962 RPM
Vcore 1.62 V
Vaux 1.65 V
Vio 3.25 V
Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 01/16/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BM49C-00
Motherboard Name MSI K7N2 (MS-6570)

Front Side Bus Properties:
FSB: 400/333/266MHz
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/sOrganization: 64M x 64 -BitWarranty: Lifetime

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type HyperTransport v1.0
Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 ACR
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 230 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset nForce2-SPP
Extra Features Fuzzy Logic 4

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...ro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios...pt_bos_list.php
Physical Memory:
Total 511 MB
Used 226 MB
Free 285 MB
Utilization 44 %

Swap Space:
Total 1202 MB
Used 196 MB
Free 1006 MB
Utilization 16 %

Virtual Memory:
Total 1714 MB
Used 422 MB
Free 1291 MB
Utilization 25 %
Please note I'm not even close to pushing this machine and I don't have a terrific amount to play with when/if I do decide to max use it
[ Xerox (512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM) ]

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Xerox
Serial Number None
Module Size 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC2100 (133 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (7.5 ns @ 133 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (10.0 ns @ 100 MHz)

Chipset Properties:

Memory Timings:
CAS Latency (CL) 2.5T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 6T

Memory Slots:
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

AGP Properties:
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Supported, Disabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Chipset Manufacturer:
Company Name NVIDIA Corporation
Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/page/mobo.html
Driver Download http://www.nvidia.com/drivers

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

[ NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) ]

Video Adapter Properties:
Device Description NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
Adapter String GeForce2 MX/MX 400
BIOS String Version 3.11.01.50.00
Chip Type GeForce2 MX/MX 400
DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.5673 - nVIDIA Detonator 56.73)
Memory Size 64 MB

Video Adapter Manufacturer:
Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products

PCI / AGP Video

Device Description Device Type
nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 Video Adapter
nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 3D Accelerator

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
GPU Code Name NV11
PCI Device 10DE / 0110
Transistors 19 million
Process Technology 0.18u
Bus Type AGP
Memory Size 64 MB
GPU Clock 200 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 350 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 2
TMU Per Pipeline 2
Vertex Shaders Not Supported
Pixel Shaders 1 (v0.5)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v7.0
Pixel Fillrate 400 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 800 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 155 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 310 MHz
Bandwidth 2480 MB/s

Graphics Processor Manufacturer:
Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products

[ Compaq S710 ]

Monitor Properties:
Monitor Name Compaq S710
Monitor ID CPQ1362
Model COMPAQ S710
Monitor Type 17" CRT
Manufacture Date Week 37 / 2000
Serial Number 037CG43HC314
Max. Visible Display Size 32 cm x 24 cm (15.7")
Picture Aspect Ratio 4:3
Horizontal Frequency 30 - 69 kHz
Vertical Frequency 50 - 120 Hz
Maximum Resolution 1280 x 1024
Gamma 2.77
DPMS Mode Support Standby, Suspend, Active-Off

Supported Video Modes:
640 x 480 120 Hz
800 x 600 105 Hz
1024 x 768 85 Hz
1152 x 864 75 Hz
1280 x 1024 60 Hz

Monitor Manufacturer:
Company Name Hewlett-Packard Company

Desktop Properties:
Device Technology Raster Display
Resolution 1024 x 768
Color Depth 32-bit
Color Planes 1
Font Resolution 96 dpi
Pixel Width / Height 36 / 36
Pixel Diagonal 51
Vertical Refresh Rate 60 Hz

Desktop Effects:
Combo-Box Animation Enabled
Drop Shadow Effect Enabled
Flat Menu Effect Enabled
Font Smoothing Enabled
Full Window Dragging Enabled
Gradient Window Title Bars Enabled
Hide Menu Access Keys Enabled
Hot Tracking Effect Enabled
Icon Title Wrapping Enabled
List-Box Smooth Scrolling Enabled
Menu Animation Enabled
Menu Fade Effect Enabled
Minimize/Restore Animation Enabled
Mouse Cursor Shadow Enabled
Selection Fade Effect Enabled
ShowSounds Accessibility Feature Disabled
ToolTip Animation Enabled
ToolTip Fade Effect Enabled
Windows Plus! Extension Disabled

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem At least 85 Hz vertical refresh rate is recommended for classic displays.

Windows Audio

Device Identifier Device Description
midi-out.0 0001 0066 Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
mixer.0 0001 0068 NVIDIAŽ nForce™ Audio
wave-in.0 0001 0065 NVIDIAŽ nForce™ Audio
wave-in.1 0001 0050 Modem #0 Line Record
wave-out.0 0001 0064 NVIDIAŽ nForce™ Audio
wave-out.1 0001 0051 Modem #0 Line Playback

[ Maxtor 6E040L0 ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description Maxtor 6E040L0
Driver Date 7/1/2001
Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File disk.inf

Disk Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Maxtor
Hard Disk Family DiamondMax Plus 8
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 40 GB
Disks 1
Recording Surfaces 1
Physical Dimensions 146.1 x 101.6 x 17.5 mm
Max. Weight 510 g
Average Rotational Latency 4.17 ms
Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Interface Ultra-ATA/133
Buffer-to-Host Data Rate 133 MB/s
Buffer Size 2 MB

Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Maxtor Corporation
Product Information http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/

[ Maxtor 6Y120P0 ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description Maxtor 6Y120P0
Driver Date 7/1/2001
INF File disk.inf

Disk Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Maxtor
Hard Disk Family DiamondMax Plus 9
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 120 GB
Disks 2
Recording Surfaces 3
Physical Dimensions 146.1 x 101.6 x 26.1 mm
Max. Weight 630 g
Interface Ultra-ATA/133
Buffer Size 8 MB

Device Manufacturer:

[ _NEC DV-5800A ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description _NEC DV-5800A
Driver Date 7/1/2001
INF File cdrom.inf

Optical Drive Properties:
Manufacturer NEC
Device Type DVD-ROM
Speed 16x/48x

Device Manufacturer:
Company Name NEC Corporation
Product Information http://www.nec-global.com/prod/index.html

[ SONY CD-RW CRX220E1 ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description SONY CD-RW CRX220E1
Driver Date 7/1/2001
INF File cdrom.inf

Optical Drive Properties:
Manufacturer Sony
Device Type CD-RW
Speed 52x/24x/52x

Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Sony Electronics Inc.
Product Information http://www.storagebysony.com

[ NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller
Driver Date 5/13/2002
Driver Version 6.1.2600.0
Driver Provider NVIDIA
INF File oem4.inf

Device Resources:
Port F000-F00F

[ Primary IDE Channel ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description Primary IDE Channel
Driver Date 7/1/2001
Driver Version 5.1.2600.0
INF File mshdc.inf

Device Resources:
IRQ 14
Port 01F0-01F7
Port 03F6-03F6

[ Secondary IDE Channel ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description Secondary IDE Channel
Driver Date 7/1/2001
INF File mshdc.inf

Device Resources:
IRQ 15
Port 0170-0177
Port 0376-0376

Logical Drives

Drive Drive Type File System Total Size Used Space Free Space % Free Volume Serial
A: Removable Disk
C: Local Disk NTFS 39205 MB 6615 MB 32590 MB 83 % 4CE8-9584
D: (DISK2_VOL1) Local Disk NTFS 36240 MB 1617 MB 34623 MB 96 % E042-6F3E
E: (DISK2_VOL2) Local Disk NTFS 80999 MB 1037 MB 79961 MB 99 % AC43-DC15
F: Optical Drive
G: Optical Drive

Physical Drives

[ Drive #1 - Maxtor 6E040L0 (38 GB) ]

Partition Partition Type Drive Start Offset Partition Length
#1 (Active) NTFS C: 0 MB 39205 MB

[ Drive #2 - Maxtor 6Y120P0 (114 GB) ]

Partition Partition Type Drive Start Offset Partition Length
#1 NTFS D: (DISK2_VOL1) 0 MB 36240 MB
#2 NTFS E: (DISK2_VOL2) 36240 MB 80999 MB

Optical Drives

Model ID Manufacturer Device Type Speed
_NEC DV-5800A NEC DVD-ROM 16x/48x
SONY CD-RW CRX220E1 Sony CD-RW 52x/24x/52x

ASPI

Host ID LUN Device Type Vendor Model Rev Extra Information
00 00 00 Disk Drive Maxtor 6 E040L0
00 01 00 Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y120P0
00 07 00 Host Adapter atapi
01 00 00 Optical Drive SONY CD- RW CRX220E1
01 01 00 Optical Drive _NEC DV- 5800A
01 07 00 Host Adapter atapi

ATA

[ Maxtor 6E040L0 (E19PLSAE) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID Maxtor 6E040L0
Serial Number E19PLSAE
Revision NAR61590
Parameters 79656 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 512 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 80293248
Buffer 2 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 57
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Unformatted Capacity 39206 MB

ATA Device Features:
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Not Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Maxtor
Hard Disk Family DiamondMax Plus 8
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 40 GB
Disks 1
Recording Surfaces 1
Physical Dimensions 146.1 x 101.6 x 17.5 mm
Max. Weight 510 g
Interface Ultra-ATA/133
Buffer Size 2 MB

ATA Device Manufacturer:

[ Maxtor 6Y120P0 (Y44SZFGE) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID Maxtor 6Y120P0
Serial Number Y44SZFGE
Revision YAR41BW0
Parameters 238216 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 512 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 240121728
Buffer 7936 KB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 57
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Unformatted Capacity 117247 MB

ATA Device Features:
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Not Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Maxtor
Hard Disk Family DiamondMax Plus 9
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 120 GB
Disks 2
Recording Surfaces 3
Physical Dimensions 146.1 x 101.6 x 26.1 mm
Max. Weight 630 g
Interface Ultra-ATA/133
Buffer Size 8 MB

ATA Device Manufacturer:

SMART

[ Maxtor 6E040L0 (E19PLSAE) ]

ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
03 Spin Up Time 63 223 222 9907 OK: Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 0 253 253 1179 OK: Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 63 253 253 0 OK: Value is normal
06 Read Channel Margin 100 253 253 0 OK: Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
08 Seek Time Performance 187 246 229 44759 OK: Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 0 238 238 63509 OK: Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 157 253 252 0 OK: Value is normal
0B Calibration Retry Count 223 253 252 0 OK: Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 251 251 1117 OK: Always passing
C0 Power-Off Retract Count 0 252 252 1058 OK: Always passing
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 0 252 252 5277 OK: Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 253 253 28 OK: Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 253 252 30636 OK: Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 193 160 41 OK: Always passing
C8 Write Error Rate 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
C9 <vendor-specific> 0 253 251 2 OK: Always passing
CA <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
CB <vendor-specific> 180 253 252 6 OK: Value is normal
CC <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
CD <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
CF <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
D0 <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
D1 <vendor-specific> 0 187 187 0 OK: Always passing
63 <vendor-specific> 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
64 <vendor-specific> 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
65 <vendor-specific> 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing

[ Maxtor 6Y120P0 (Y44SZFGE) ]

ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
03 Spin Up Time 63 196 190 17782 OK: Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 0 253 253 226 OK: Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 63 253 253 2 OK: Value is normal
06 Read Channel Margin 100 253 253 0 OK: Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
08 Seek Time Performance 187 252 242 58438 OK: Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 0 250 250 1333 OK: Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 157 253 252 0 OK: Value is normal
0B Calibration Retry Count 223 253 252 0 OK: Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 253 253 294 OK: Always passing
C0 Power-Off Retract Count 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 253 253 27 OK: Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 253 252 697 OK: Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 253 253 2 OK: Always passing
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 198 193 6 OK: Always passing
C8 Write Error Rate 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
C9 <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 4 OK: Always passing
CA <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
CB <vendor-specific> 180 253 252 0 OK: Value is normal
CC <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
CD <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
CF <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
D0 <vendor-specific> 0 253 252 0 OK: Always passing
D1 <vendor-specific> 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
63 <vendor-specific> 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
64 <vendor-specific> 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing
65 <vendor-specific> 0 253 253 0 OK: Always passing

[ Primary Display Driver ]

DirectDraw Device Properties:
DirectDraw Driver Name display
DirectDraw Driver Description Primary Display Driver
Hardware Driver nv4_disp.dll
Hardware Description NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)

Direct3D Device Properties:
Available Local Video Memory 62272 KB
Available Non-Local Video Memory (AGP) 64511 KB
Rendering Bit Depths 16, 32
Z-Buffer Bit Depths 16, 24
Min Texture Size 1 x 1
Max Texture Size 2048 x 2048
Vertex Shader Version Not Supported
Pixel Shader Version Not Supported

Direct3D Device Features:
Additive Texture Blending Supported
AGP Texturing Supported
Anisotropic Filtering Supported
Bilinear Filtering Supported
Cubic Environment Mapping Supported
Cubic Filtering Not Supported
Decal-Alpha Texture Blending Supported
Decal Texture Blending Supported
Directional Lights Not Supported
DirectX Texture Compression Supported
DirectX Volumetric Texture Compression Not Supported
Dithering Supported
Dot3 Texture Blending Supported
Dynamic Textures Supported
Edge Antialiasing Not Supported
Environmental Bump Mapping Not Supported
Environmental Bump Mapping + Luminance Not Supported
Factor Alpha Blending Supported
Geometric Hidden-Surface Removal Not Supported
Guard Band Supported
Hardware Scene Rasterization Supported
Hardware Transform & Lighting Supported
Legacy Depth Bias Not Supported
Mipmap LOD Bias Adjustments Supported
Mipmapped Cube Textures Supported
Mipmapped Volume Textures Not Supported
Modulate-Alpha Texture Blending Supported
Modulate Texture Blending Supported
Non-Square Textures Supported
N-Patches Not Supported
Perspective Texture Correction Supported
Point Lights Not Supported
Point Sampling Supported
Projective Textures Supported
Quintic Bezier Curves & B-Splines Not Supported
Range-Based Fog Supported
Rectangular & Triangular Patches Not Supported
Rendering In Windowed Mode Supported
Scissor Test Not Supported
Slope-Scale Based Depth Bias Not Supported
Specular Flat Shading Supported
Specular Gouraud Shading Supported
Specular Phong Shading Not Supported
Spherical Mapping Not Supported
Spot Lights Not Supported
Stencil Buffers Supported
Sub-Pixel Accuracy Supported
Table Fog Supported
Texture Alpha Blending Supported
Texture Clamping Supported
Texture Mirroring Supported
Texture Transparency Supported
Texture Wrapping Supported
Triangle Culling Not Supported
Trilinear Filtering Supported
Two-Sided Stencil Test Not Supported
Vertex Alpha Blending Supported
Vertex Fog Supported
Vertex Tweening Not Supported
Volume Textures Not Supported
W-Based Fog Supported
W-Buffering Supported
Z-Based Fog Supported
Z-Bias Supported
Z-Test Not Supported

DirectX Sound

[ Primary Sound Driver ]

DirectSound Device Properties:
Device Description Primary Sound Driver
Driver Module
Primary Buffers 1
Min / Max Secondary Buffers Sample Rate 200 / 100000 Hz
Primary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
Secondary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
Total / Free Sound Buffers 64 / 61
Total / Free Static Sound Buffers 64 / 61
Total / Free Streaming Sound Buffers 64 / 61
Total / Free 3D Sound Buffers 0 / 0
Total / Free 3D Static Sound Buffers 0 / 0
Total / Free 3D Streaming Sound Buffers 0 / 0

DirectSound Device Features:
Certified Driver Yes
Emulated Device No
Precise Sample Rate Supported

[ NVIDIAŽ nForce™ Audio ]

DirectSound Device Properties:
Device Description NVIDIAŽ nForce™ Audio
Driver Module nvapu.sys
Primary Buffers 1
Min / Max Secondary Buffers Sample Rate 200 / 100000 Hz
Primary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
Secondary Buffers Sound Formats 8-bit, 16-bit, Mono, Stereo
Total / Free Sound Buffers 64 / 61
Total / Free Static Sound Buffers 64 / 61
Total / Free Streaming Sound Buffers 64 / 61
Total / Free 3D Sound Buffers 0 / 0
Total / Free 3D Static Sound Buffers 0 / 0
Total / Free 3D Streaming Sound Buffers 0 / 0

DirectSound Device Features:
Certified Driver Yes
Emulated Device No
Precise Sample Rate Supported

DirectX Music

[ NVIDIAŽ nForce™ Audio ]

DirectMusic Device Properties:
Device Description NVIDIAŽ nForce™ Audio
Synthesizer Type Software
Device Class Output Port
Device Type WDM Multimedia
Audio Channels 2
MIDI Channels 16000
Voices 1000
Available Memory System Memory

DirectMusic Device Features:
Built-In GM Instrument Set No
Built-In Roland GS Sound Set No
DirectSound Not Supported
DLS L1 Sample Collections Supported
DLS L2 Sample Collections Not Supported
External MIDI Port No
Fixed DLS Memory Size No
Port Sharing Not Supported
Chorus Effect Not Supported
Delay Effect Not Supported
Reverb Effect Supported

[ Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated] ]

Device Description Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated]
Synthesizer Type Hardware
Device Class Output Port
Device Type Windows Multimedia
MIDI Channels 16

DLS L1 Sample Collections Not Supported
External MIDI Port No
Fixed DLS Memory Size No
Port Sharing Supported
Reverb Effect Not Supported

[ Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated] ]

Device Description Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated]
Synthesizer Type Hardware
Device Class Output Port
Device Type Windows Multimedia
MIDI Channels 16

DLS L1 Sample Collections Not Supported
External MIDI Port No
Fixed DLS Memory Size No
Port Sharing Supported
Reverb Effect Not Supported

[ Microsoft Synthesizer ]

Device Description Microsoft Synthesizer
Synthesizer Type Software
Device Class Output Port
Device Type User-Mode Synthesizer
Audio Channels 2
MIDI Channels 16000
Voices 1000
Available Memory System Memory

DirectSound Supported
DLS L1 Sample Collections Supported
DLS L2 Sample Collections Supported
External MIDI Port No
Fixed DLS Memory Size No
Port Sharing Not Supported
Reverb Effect Supported

DirectX Input

[ Mouse ]

DirectInput Device Properties:
Device Description Mouse
Device Type Mouse
Device Subtype Unknown
Axes 3
Buttons/Keys 3

DirectInput Device Features:
Emulated Device Yes
Alias Device No
Polled Device No
Polled Data Format No
Attack Force Feedback Not Supported
Deadband Force Feedback Not Supported
Fade Force Feedback Not Supported
Force Feedback Not Supported
Saturation Force Feedback Not Supported
+/- Force Feedback Coefficients Not Supported
+/- Force Feedback Saturation Not Supported

[ Keyboard ]

Device Description Keyboard
Device Type Keyboard
Device Subtype IBM PC Enhanced 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural keyboard
Buttons/Keys 128

Emulated Device Yes
Alias Device No
Polled Device No
Polled Data Format No

[ Lexmark X5100 Series ]

Device Description Lexmark X5100 Series
Device Type Unknown
Device Subtype Unknown

Emulated Device Yes
Alias Device No
Polled Device No
Polled Data Format No
Categories below double the amount of data that has been posted thus far, so it's not included. Basically each device and it's driver properties are documented in the missing data. Normal setup when the parts are assembled and winXP is loaded will fill in all the right details
Windows Devices
[ Devices ]

Device Properties:
sample listing only Driver Description USB Composite Device
Driver Date 7/1/2001
INF File usb.inf
Hardware ID USB\Vid_043d&Pid_0065&Rev_0001
Physical Devices

PCI Devices:

Edited by phawgg, 21 October 2004 - 06:45 PM.

#7 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for everyones help thus far. Just getting started doing some research. A few general questions I have at the molment.

1) Should I venture into 64-bit Technology? Any real advantages for my usage? I'm assuming that it would be better for future upgrades? Honestly do not know much about 64 bit.

Suggested processor/MOBO by phawgg:
136.00 AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 400 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM
63.00 MSI "K7N2 Delta2-LSR" NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

Looked through Newegg. Seemed to have good reviews on:
132.00 AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - OEM
89.00 ASUS "K8N" NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL

About $25 difference in price. Pros and Cons?

2) Started looking at some cases. Plan on getting a lower end case to make budget. Will probably get one with an included power supply. What is minimum power supply I should be looking at? 350W? Will help me make a decision on the case.

3) What is the difference in OEM and Retail. Just heatsink and fan included with retail?

Thanks,
Chad

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:50 PM

just came back from office depot, turned an ink cartridge in trade for a ream of 20# Bond. Saw these ads.
I noticed the AMD Athlon
I don't know much about the 64-Bit, but I think it being new, your're paying for the "cutting edge". In what way, exactly & how much are good questions. I'd wonder about software availablity. I just haven't done any research into it yet, sorry. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 21 October 2004 - 11:55 PM.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:37 AM

Or, looking at it a little differently
Compaq Presario Model SR1230NX 778-232
KDS Model XF-7b 556-512 17" monitor
HP Model 3845 430-888 printer
$856.09

AMD Athlon XP processor 3200+
512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory
160GB harddrive
DVD+RW double layer drive/CD-ROM drive

desktop computer/ monitor
printer
<230.00>
<50.00>

$576.09 after rebates
it runs winXP Home

HP Pavilion Model M1160N 778-264
$1049.99

AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory
200GB harddrive
DVD+RW double layer drive/CD-ROM drive

desktop computer
<200.00>

$849.99 after rebates
it runs winXP MCE 2005, and what software also works on this?

Edited by phawgg, 22 October 2004 - 01:40 AM.

#10 jubalsams

jubalsams

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:54 AM

Just purchased DVD 8x +- writer from fry's for 49.99 and they had double layer burner for 79.99. Watch the Big Box ads in the paper ... some really good deals can be had. This week at Frys Maxtor IDE 120 GB 8MB buffer $59.99.

Monitor should be at least 1/3 of your budget (if you already have a good large monitor ... great).

Don't worry about assembly ... the motherboard manual will show where everything goes and as long as you are mechanical type ... no problem. One thing maybe not clear: use the standoffs to raise the MB above the chassis and do not tighten the screws more than finger tight.

Best

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:24 AM

LOL very good needed tipper here!
"do not tighten the screws more than finger tight."
Now that would be fun...
I can see it now tighten,tighten crack! Then you here the sound all the way down the road(ahhhhhhhhh)
You guys are making me want to build a new pc too~ I need one.......

#12 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:12 PM

cpotter, I'm going to list general categories of components for building a computer. This is for hardware only. I don't know what you plan on doing for software, if it has to be included in that $500 budget or not.

Tell me which of these components you need to buy, and which of them you plan to re-use from your current PC.

Case
Case fans
Power Supply
Motherboard
Processor
Processor Heatsink/Fan (comes with a retail processor)
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drives (CD and DVD readers/burners)
Floppy Drive
Memory Card Reader
Sound Card
Video Card
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse

This list should be pretty much it. This will help us help you. I'm confident we can help you stay in your budget.

Jason

#13 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

Woody:

Case:
Just have IBM case. Plan on getting a new one, but given price, probably a lower end case. Have looked on newegg. In order to narrow my options, need to know what minium power supply I need. I am guessing 350W, but not sure. There are also posts on newegg that indicate that you do not want a generic PSU.

Case fans
Will need to purchase new case fans. I'm guessing the number of fans I will need will depend on processor and case I choose.

Power Supply:
Have 2 power supplies that came with my old IBM computer and an older Compaq computer, neither of which are probably appropriate for building my own. Plan on getting this as a combination with the case.

Motherboard
Will need a new motherboard.

Processor
Will need new processor. I'm not set on AMD or Intel. But from what I gather with the things I've read, AMD is just as good as Intel and can be gotten for a lower price. Is this indeed true? And if AMD is the route to go given my budget, am I better off with an AMD XP or AMD 64 bit processor? I'm guessing that a 64 bit processor is not necessary given my budget, limited software availabilty, and my current usage needs. Just thought I would look into it as buying a 64 bit processor and accompying motherboard might make upgrades easier at a later date.

Processor Heatsink/Fan (comes with a retail processor)
Will need new. Either retail or in addition to OEM processor.

RAM
Will need new Ram. Will probably start with 512, or possibly upgrade to 1 Gig depending on whether or not I come under budget. Will at least upgrade in the future to 1 Gig.

Hard Drive
I have a current Maxtor 20 Gig that I never completely filled. I was planning on buying a new hard drive and installing the old as a slave to have additional space. With that in mind, I thought that a new 40 Gig would be appropriate. But would not opposed to going larger for minimal increase in price.

Optical Drives (CD and DVD readers/burners)
Have VERY old 4x CD burner. Plan on buying a new DVD writer, DVD rom. If I have enough room, I may install old CD writer for backup.

Floppy Drive
Have several floppy drives. Plan on reusing them.

Memory Card Reader
Do not have a memory card reader. Thought about getting one for new system, but not a must. Have an olympus camera, where I mostly use xD chips.

Sound Card
Do not have a sound card. Was assuming I could get buy with onboard sound on new motherboard. Don't really do any gaming.

Video Card
Thought I might be able to get buy with onboard video for motherboard, depending on motherboard I choose. Getting a new video card would be an option if budget can accomodate, as this should also free up some memory.

Monitor
Have a 15 CRT IBM monitor currently. Plan on reusing this until it dies. It satisfies my current usage. When this dies, I will upgrade to a 17" or larger LCD.

Keyboard
Will reuse.

Mouse
Have a wired optical mouse that I will reuse.

Regarding software.. This does not need to be included in the $500-600. Have the software that I need to get started.

Thanks for your help. Chad

#14 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:27 PM

Cool. I understand your predicament as I was in the same until last weekend. I will do a little research and get back to you. While you say you don't need a floppy, the Mitsumi combination floppy/memory card reader is awesome and with it being an internal piece of hardware, you won't need an external memory card reader taking up desk space. The memory card reader part of the unit is USB 2.0 and the floppy uses the standard floppy connection. I highly recommend it and will include it in my pricing. If you choose to take it off and not get a memory card reader you can subtract that cost and use it elsewhere.

I'll reply later today.

Jason

#15 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:14 PM

Okay. I just perused newegg and before taxes and shipping, I went over your $500-$600 budget by $19.82. If you pull out the Mitsumi combo floppy/card reader, then I'm just barely under $600. Here's what I come up with:

Case: A-Top XBlade Black/Silver Case with 450W PSU - $59.99 - I like this case but it's not very good if you're using SATA hard drives mounted in the drive cage as the SATA cable rests on the side of the case and unplugs itself easily - you shouldn't have a problem with IDE ribbon cables
Case Fan: Speeze 80mm DC Case fan, Model "FD08025S1M4" - $1.59 - for the back of the case since the case doesn't come with a back panel fan.
Power Supply: You get a 450W PSU with the case
Motherboard: CHAINTECH "SPT800 Summit" VIA PT800 Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL - $45.00
Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail - $145.00
Processor Heatsink/Fan: Comes with the retail packaging for the processor
System Memory: 2 sticks of V-DATA 184 Pin 512M DDR PC-2700 - OEM - $69.00 each - $138.00 for two sticks
Hard Drive: Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model L01P080, Retail - $83.25
DVD Writer: Pioneer Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-108, OEM - $74.00
Video Card: Transcend ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 64MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "TS64MVDR92" -RETAIL - $47.00
Floppy/Memory Card Reader: Mitsumi USB Digital Card Reader/Writer W/FD (Black)INTERNAL, Model FA404A/404M -OEM - $25.99
Sound Card: Not necessary, motherboard has sound on it
Monitor: Using old monitor
Keyboard: Using old keyboard
Mouse: Using old mouse

Total: $619.82

I was surpised that it came in only $20 over your top-line number. That looks like a damn nice rig for a non-gamer. Heck, with that you could play games - not at their highest video settings, but you could play them nonetheless.

If you want to get that closer to $500, all you would have to do is drop to 512MB of RAM instead of 1GB, and drop the floppy/card reader. That would cut $94.99 right there. Or if you did those two things, you could spend some of that savings on a better video card (since you will be doing photo editing). To me the fun part is the options you have, even in this price range.

I think we've shown you that it is possible to set yourself up with a system that you will be happy with, and has some room for upgrading in the future.

Good luck to you. Picking the parts is the fun part... the hard part is getting it all installed and running! I need to post an update on my build as it's done and the rig is running at warp speeds. Problem is I can't tear myself away from Far Cry long enough! :thumbsup:

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users