Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TDSS Cripples both Firefox and IE, though everything else worked, and now works fine after removal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Hi there folken,
This is probably the worst time in the world to be reporting this, yeah ... right when I get back to school. But anyway, I was sitting at my desktop computer at home, talking to a friend on Skype, and this didn't hit me till the day I was going back to school since everything worked fine. I had clicked on some odd file, thinking that since nothing was found in it, that it was good, and that Eset's realtime module would see it if otherwise necessary. I had closed the file that had appeared fishy to me, but my friend told me that some auto processes caught by Win Patrol were recognizable to him. I still killed the file not realizing what had actually happened. The day afterward, I decided to run a quick scan with MBAM, and see what was really going on, for by then, firefox and IE were configured to use a proxy server, and when my attempts at fixing the issue in firefox yielded no results, I realized that something was definitely wrong. MBAM came up with one instance of trojan.downloader followed by two instances of rootkit.tdss, and all three were removed successfully. I begin to wonder if I caught the darn thing just in the nick of time. I've gotten no strangeness from any of the sites I belong to, everything on that seems to be fine. What do you folks think? You think that when I get back, one more run with MBAM on a full scan, then double checking with TDSS killer will do it? I suppose it doesn't make as much of a difference, because my desktop is clearly an experimental computer, no sensitive information is stored there, passwords are only remembered in firefox, and so on. That computer's going to my friend's house anyway in a few weeks in order to be replaced with A Dell powerEdge T110 server. But I'd still like to get it cleaned off so that I don't have a computer which ends it's life with something nasty running through it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I can't send any logs at this time simply due to the fact that I'm current at college 26 miles away, so it's more of an opinion I'm looking for. For my friend wants to put Ubuntu on it anyway. Thanks.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users