Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why won't Knoppix work on this computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A. Gillenormand

A. Gillenormand

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

Call me silly if you like for it, but I occasionally dabble in Linux, and when I do, I usually use a Knoppix DVD (I think, anyway...) from a Knoppix for Dummies library book.

Those specifics aside... the DVD works dandily on an old '01 Gateway desktop (main OS is XP). (while running there are sometimes minor errors, but...it isn't the latest disc; it's not installed on the hard drive anyway, making tinkering a bit difficult... It boots fine, though) But (and it's been a while since I've tried this, so I don't recall all the details, though it seems to me a fix I tried unsuccessfully had something to do with either the "nopcmcia" option or something about DVD/CD drives... I am pretty sure that failsafe booting didn't work) booting hangs on an HP G60 laptop, new in Aug/Sept '09. I think I may have gotten an error message, which I now don't recall, but it ended with me depressing the power button and retrieving the disc from the drive before booting normally in Windows Vista. I think I even tried to burn the ISO once or twice and this failed for one reason or another.

If I were really intent on fixing this, yes, I would be trying this again and noting the error it gives, but at the moment, having happened upon this site again, I'm just wondering if there's any obvious reason why Knoppix wouldn't work on this machine. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

I won't call you silly as I dabble in Linux from time to time myself. I'm certainly no expert here, but no one else is responding, so I'll give it a go.

One thing that strikes me from what you wrote is that the Knoppix disk works on an older desktop and not on newer laptop. Since the library book disk isn't the latest, it's possible that the laptop has hardware/features that are newer than, and unrecognized by the older Knoppix distro.

You could try searching for a newer release of Knoppix and see if that helps.

Personally, I've been playing with a different distribution called Puppy Linux and found it quite easy and fun to use. Try visiting here for more information. It's quire small (one DVD) and fast, and designed to run entirely in RAM. You can save configuration files in your Vista 'C:' drive without having to partition and format, or you can exit without saving and there are no traces of Puppy left on your system.

Hope this helps,
Bill253

#3 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

I have this EXACT same issue, even up to trying Puppy Linux in the end. o_o; My Knoppix is old, it runs on an XP desktop, it won't run on my Vista laptop, and the laptop is from July 09. Yeep.

Hmm... Maybe I should try a newer release. 'Might be interesting.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

Try a newer release of Knoppix, or try anything from here: http://www.livecdlist.com

#5 lidamitch

lidamitch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

I love puppy for hardware compatibility when trying to get into DOA Windows OS to extract files. It has great video card drivers that have worked on every machine I've tried.
The biggest problem I've had with Linux Live CD's lately is my darn wireless adapter is a Broadcom and no distro I've tried yet works with it unless I install and download a tar ball to install.
I'm not willing to blow my existing HDD config yet.
Anybody know of a distro for Live CD/DVD that will work with Broadcom network devices?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

Lidamatch any live Distro should work on your networking devices.

You may want to try Ubuntu.

#7 lidamitch

lidamitch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Fedora KDE doesn't and that's my favorite flavor. Downloaded Ubuntu just now and Ultimate.
Guess I could just install after I create recovery CD set for my laptop.
TNX
Lida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users