Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't want to fully boot up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techforcity

techforcity

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

Ok, so I have a netbook that someone brought to me and they said that they had a virus. I then cleaned what I thought was all of it and gave it back to the customer. They then brought it home and booted it up and it would load to the point where you see the desktop background picture but will go no further. I can control alt delete and the task manager comes up but I can't really do anything from here, even run explorer.exe.

She then mentioned that she has Frostwire on the computer, and I read up on it and I heard that it is like a cest pool for viruses. Could this be what is keeping the computer from running properly?

How should I go about fixing this issue so the computer is running fine again and actually boots up to the desktop fully.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

Will it boot into Safe Mode, if so scroll down to 'Safe Mode with Networking ' dowload something link Uninstall tool from here at BC or download Revo Uninstaller, then uninstall Frostwire then try rebooting into normal mode, and rerun all thee various scans you used before to clean it out in the 1st place, if it won't rebooot into normal mode then reboot again into safe mode and try running some of the scans you used !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

<<I then cleaned what I thought was all of it...>>

I guess that I have to ask...you did not boot the system before giving it back? How did you determine that it was malware-free before returning it?

<<Could this be what is keeping the computer from running properly?>>

I guess that I would not be convinced that the system is now malware-free.

Have you considered posting in the Am I Infected forum?

Can you boot into safe mode?

System model and manufacturer, please?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users