Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching displays with a hotkey

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:43 AM

Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to dual monitors and searching on Google didn't turn up anything that I could use. Hopefully this is a simple problem that can easily be fixed :)

I have a dual monitor set up at the moment. What I'd like to have is a hotkey that when pressed, switches what is displayed on monitor 1 with monitor 2 and vice versa. Basically, it is the equivalent of switching the cables at back of the PC around.

Is there any way of doing this without:
a ) Physically going to the back of the PC and switching the cables over
b ) Going through all the windows settings and changing the primary display, etc.

Thanks in advance

Edited by aommaster, 26 January 2011 - 05:43 AM.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Im not quite sure I follow...

Are you saying that you have 2 monitors on 1 video card or are you using a KVM switch for 2 diff computers?

If its the KVM switch, you can switch between monitors by pressing "scroll lock, scroll lock, enter" so hit scroll lock 2 times then enter, in quick succession.

If you have 1 video card on two monitors, what is shown on which monitor cant be "flip flopped" like you are saying, you have to set a default monitor, and thats where everything will open originally, then you can drag whatever you want to the other display.

Is the second monitor a clone of the desktop on the first (default) monitor or an extension of the desktop so you basically are working with a widescreen view?

Edited by s1lents0ul, 26 January 2011 - 07:13 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hi!

Yes, I am using two monitors, both connected to a single graphics card.

Is the second monitor a clone of the desktop on the first (default) monitor or an extension of the desktop so you basically are working with a widescreen view?

Yes, it's an extension of the desktop for extra added space.

I think you mentioned that what I was trying to do was not possible. It just seemed odd to me that I could not switch the graphics card outputs around. I don't mind using an extra program/script to do it.

Edited by aommaster, 26 January 2011 - 10:25 AM.

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

What I'd like to have is a hotkey that when pressed, switches what is displayed on monitor 1 with monitor 2 and vice versa

I'm not sure, if I follow either.
I'll try though...
I'm using UltraMon, which allows me to move open applications between monitors, using a button, or a hotkey:

Posted Image

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hi Broni!

Thanks for taking a stab at my problem. What I'd like to do is instead of just moving applications over, I'd like to move the entire display over. So, everything that would appear on monitor 1 (including windows sidebar, desktop icons, etc.) would now appear on monitor 2.

Another way of thinking about it would be if I went to the back of my PC, and switched the cables that were connected to my graphics card around. Everything that would be shown on monitor 1 would now be shown on monitor 2 instead.

Hopefully that clarifies it? If not, let me know :)

unite_blue.png

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

UltraMon will let you to do this too.
You have this option:

Posted Image

Switching monitors will move all icons and a taskbar to the other monitor and you can move all open programs, using a method(s) described in my previous reply.
UltraMon will also let you to extend taskbar to the 2nd monitor.
It has a lot of settings to play with.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:19 AM

Ah I see. I was kinda hoping to have a one-button thing to do this for me :hysterical:

I guess I'd have to create two display profiles and then I could switch between them, right?

Thanks again!

unite_blue.png

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

I was unaware of UltraMon's capabilities, im sorry for being misleading. The hotkey option for what you want is unreachable, it seems..
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users