Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Space issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hello, I am running WinXP Pro, and have the following specifications:

1.6GHz processor
895MB RAM
74.5 GB hard drive
File System: NTFS

Now, recently my hard drive started filling up, so I used Rollback RX to basically rewind everything to installation. One problem: It no longer recognizes the gained space.

I have tried doing Disk Cleanup, and even tried using Defraggler (After an hour it was still at 0% defragmentation, at which point I stopped it)

Nothing works. I currently have 1.46GB or so free.

Its slowly filling up, so I need assistance before it does. Any prompt help would be greatly appreciated.
If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into the other persons eyes!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

I'd say that you need a second hard drive.

I say "second" because I don't believe in merely going to a larger drive...I don't like having everything on one drive, too much can go wrong with one drive and I don't like the frustration.

If you have a stated 80GB hard drive and have less than 8GB of free space...I would expect Windows to exhibit problems.

If the system cannot support a 2d hard drive, then an external hard drive would seem the best choice.

There is no reason for much of anything to be on the system partition/drive...beyond Windows and (for me) installed programs. All data files really would be better served by being on a different drive, IMO.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

I'm not familiar with Rollback RX, but after visiting their site it appears it can be used to restore an entire image or just selected files - or just system files (similar to system restore). If you used one of the latter modes, there would be no change in free space.

I agree you could use a larger drive - either as a replacement for your current drive or a second drive. But if you get a second drive that will not help free up space on your current drive. If I were you, first thing I do us use Disk Cleanup to delete all but your current restore point. That should free up a bunch of space.

#4 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

I'm not familiar with Rollback RX, but after visiting their site it appears it can be used to restore an entire image or just selected files - or just system files (similar to system restore). If you used one of the latter modes, there would be no change in free space.

I agree you could use a larger drive - either as a replacement for your current drive or a second drive. But if you get a second drive that will not help free up space on your current drive. If I were you, first thing I do us use Disk Cleanup to delete all but your current restore point. That should free up a bunch of space.

It restores the whole disk for me. Gets rid of everything that was there before. And a second hard drive is out of the question, I don't have the time or money to get one, but thank you for the suggestion, hamluis. And I said I HAVE used disk cleanup. Currently at 1.20 GB and decreasing.
If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

If the drive seems to be "filling up" without your doing anything you might want to check for malware.

One place to look is in the Temp folder - anything unusual there?

You can also download and run treesize to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)

#6 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

If the drive seems to be "filling up" without your doing anything you might want to check for malware.

One place to look is in the Temp folder - anything unusual there?

You can also download and run treesize to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)

Not possible. I've rolled back the PC, RollbackRX should have annihilated any malware that was on the disk beforehand, and even then, I had Avast IS and MBAM Pro(And have them right now)

And thanks for the suggestion, TreeSize said that only 3.3 MB was in Temp.

However, there was a lot in the C:\WINDOWS\Installer folder. It seems just like a bunch of jibberish files in there to me, though. In addition, the total size of all files was far less than what My Computer says. 16.6 GB total. Certainly not filling the drive.

Thanks for the help, any advice?

Edited by TheDudeWithTude, 26 January 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#7 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

Soooooooo... No help at all here?

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Try clearing out all the system restore points except the most recent one.
Restore points can gobble up tons of room.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555367
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm sorry, it seems the problem fixed itself! Recently I checked, It's now up to 42.0 GB free space. Dunno how that helped, but thanks to everyone who contributed and helped.

Computing uses quite a bit of luck and black magic, doesn't it? :P

Mods, lock the topic if you want.

Try clearing out all the system restore points except the most recent one.
Restore points can gobble up tons of room.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555367

Don't have system restore enabled. So that wasn't the issue, apparently, PC's just fix themselves sometimes!

Edited by TheDudeWithTude, 28 January 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Don't have system restore enabled.

Hi Dude -
You may now want to enable System Restore now as you can always delete the restore points every month and then restart them -
I use mine that way as a minor restore (one week or one day) is often required - Just my 2 cents worth -

Thank You -

#11 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Don't have system restore enabled.

Hi Dude -
You may now want to enable System Restore now as you can always delete the restore points every month and then restart them -
I use mine that way as a minor restore (one week or one day) is often required - Just my 2 cents worth -

Thank You -

Don't think you understand. Rollback RX is basically a better System Restore. Its like System Restore on steroids. No reason to have two backups of the exact same thing. In addition, sometimes SysRestore doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users