Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x7F - Can't load Windows XP or Safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LordSoren

LordSoren

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance you might give me.

As mentioned in the topic of this post I am trying to boot into Windows XP and as it loads it BSODs with error:
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have tried looking over the forums and while the most common issue and fix seems to be "check your memory" I have run Memtest for 22 hours straight with 0 errors. Those that are not directly attributed to memory errors seem to be specific to an individual problem - hence the reason I am creating this topic.

I have had this computer for three years now, and it has always run hot. I never considered it an issue, however. It was running at ~80C with the stock heat sink and fan (1700-1900 RPM) but otherwise ran fine. Using speedfan, Asus System Moniter and BIOS utilities, I had noticed that the temperatures were creeping higher and higher so I popped out the processor, cleaned off the old thermal compound and applied a new (Artic silver 5)

This did not alleviate the problem so I decided to replace the heat sink. After some investigation I decided instead of going with air cooled to take the plunge and buy a liquid cooling kit (ThermalTake Big Water 760i). This greatly dropped the temperatures of my CPU - about 40C.

For about a week my computer worked fine, however now I can not even boot into Windows, even in safe mode. The only change to my computer prior to that was the installation of the cooling - which required a full strip down of the computer and removing the motherboard.

I am not sure if I perhaps fried part of my computer or my processor finally bit the bullet after running so hot for so long or if it is just a driver issue (as some of these problems seem to be).

I am currently running in ubuntu on the same computer with no problems that I can see.

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2011 - 07:41 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LordSoren

LordSoren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Oddly enough, it seems to be working fine now.

I ran Memtest for 22 hours, 0 errors. Booted into Ubuntu from a CD and used a virtual drive for a while. Shut it down and since then. After that, I have had no trouble.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

Sometimes...it happens that way :). Post back if you experience any problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users