Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning out disk drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 srg55

srg55

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi - I have a spare GATEWAY laptop computer which has Windows 98SE as its operating system. It works pretty well and handy to keep as a spare.

I would like to clean out the hard disk on the laptop in order to free up space .

I would like to know if there is any program I can download and run that will work on Windows 98SE that does a good job in checking through the internal system, registry etc and cleans out all the useless stuff.

I have already gone thru and manually deleted stuff I know I can, the temp files etc. - but there probably is stuff hidden which Im not sure about that could go, and I hope a program could pick up.

AVG has one called PC Analyzer, but it does not work on the Windows 98SE operating system.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

Would this be of help,It will run on 98.

Belarc Advisor
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 srg55

srg55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

I will download and try this. Thank you

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

You could also try this little one?

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

PLEASE DO NOT PLAY AROUND WITH THE REGISTRY, NOR WINDOWS FILES!

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

There are almost certainly no hidden files you would want to delete in Windows 98. If you have gone through the process of manually uninstalling programs you don't need, deleting temp files, emptying the recycle bin, managing the space allotted to the Temporary Internet Files Folder, and running disk cleanup (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186099) then I'd leave well enough alone. And PLEASE - do not EVER use a registry cleaner of any sort. There is not one that does any good, and there are several that can leave your system unusable.

Edited by Allan, 27 January 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

You could also try this little one?

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

:thumbup2:

PLEASE DO NOT PLAY AROUND WITH THE REGISTRY, NOR WINDOWS FILES!

:thumbsup:

#7 BillyBob68

BillyBob68

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

Allan has good advice there. Here is another suggestion. go into your recycle bin properties and reduce the size of it.
By default it uses 10% of your drive. Take it down to 1 or 2%. Search for .wav files. Those are uncompressed audio files
and they can get pretty large. Just be careful deleting anything from the Windows folder.

Old hard drives are pretty easy to get a hold of and are pretty cheap. You could always get one that is bigger
than the one you have and clone it. Or you can add it and move some folders to the second drive.

hope this helps

"Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked."
"BUG, n.: An undesirable, poorly-understood undocumented feature."

#8 srg55

srg55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Thank you