Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Editors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jasel

jasel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

In that the thread regarding registry editors was closed, I thought I'd sign up and add my two cents. Not only are they dangerous, but when you got that offer of a free scan of your computer only to find if you want more than 15 of the 3,000 errors the scan found, you have to pay. Kinda make one realize that if they tease you with a free diagnosis, but now want $$$ for the problems THEY say exist, you're not exactly dealing with a company with scruples.

I managed over 500 computers and servers before I retired, and can only say that not only do you NOT get what you pay for, but will surely develop problems for which the company offering you the free scan will have another product that fixes the problems they created.

A good anti-virus program, and a malware remover (like Spybot) is all you really need. Your hardware firewall, and other measures already take care of many of the threats and problems that attack a PC.

My Lenovo Thinkpad is about to go in for warranty service, but not before having to convince the rep on the phone that if I can't remove the Compact Flash reader in my computer, than I obviously couldn't have installed it. And it probably isn't even defective hardware, but a BIOS issue that is preventing the computer from reading large capacity CF cards (since it can read 4GB cards).

Such is the life of the computer owner. At least I'm not going through life thinking Macs can't get viruses.

James C.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Personally I think Spybot is not as good as it once was. I much prefer Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users