Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2003 - Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Char1ieJ

Char1ieJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

I have a Gateway Server with a LSI MegaRAID SCSI adapter and two 33.6Gb SCSI drives, running Windows Server 2003. Sometime in the last couple of days, the server stopped working properly. I had to do a hard shutdown today because it would not respond to any form of control or a soft shutdown via the power button. When I booted the server back up, the system naturally checked the disks. It found five errors. All were "corrected" and the Windows Server 2003 boot process continued with the logo screen, etc.

At the point we usually get a login screen, I got a BSOD:
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

Rebooted SEVERAL times and always get the same error.

Now, every time the server boots, it shows:
Following SCSI ID's are not responding
Channel-1: 0, 1
1 Logical Drives found on the host adapter.
1 Logical Drive(s) Failed
1 Logical Drives(s) handled by BIOS

Attached File  SCSI drive error_LHS13.jpg   147.33KB   5 downloads

I have tried the Windows Server Repair mode with chkdsk /r, but that was looking at a SAN-attached drive on the server. How the heck Windows' OS sees that, I don't know.

I went into the admin for the SCSI adapter and it shows both drives as FAIL. Doesn't make sense because the drives both show activity at boot and the Windows Server 2003 logo shows on screen. That part of the boot process has to come from somewhere... and it's not the SAN-attached drive. It has no OS files on it.

Anyway, I finally went into the SCSI Utilities and verified the drives. The first drive had four errors for bad sectors.
Attached File  SCSI error_LHS13.jpg   146.26KB   2 downloads
The options were to "Reassign Block" or not. I chose to reassign.

Afterwards, I still see the logical drive failure and then the Windows Server 2003 logo screen, which then gives me the BSOD.
And, the whole process starts again.

BTW, after an hour or so of trying to resolve the issue, I took the two drives out of the server and put them into an identical server (removing ALL other drives first). I got an NTLDR error on that one.

So, I took the SCSI adapter cable out of the 2nd server and put it in the original server. Same scenario.

Lastly, I went back to the original Windows Server 2003 CD and tried to let it reinstall the OS files. The only drive that process sees is the SAN-attached drive... and it is not either of the two physical drives, nor the logical drive they comprise. So, NO go on reinstalling the OS at this point.

I'm at a loss here folks. We definitely need some data stored on those drives, so I can't format or otherwise destroy the drives or the current configuration. I need your help, please.

Edited by Char1ieJ, 25 January 2011 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

What kind of drive setup RAID 0, 1, or none? Also did you F6 to install the RAID adapters drivers? Since you have identical servers do you have spare drives so you can determine that the server and the RAID card is functioning properly by doing either a test clean install or re-insatll from backup?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Char1ieJ

Char1ieJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

On a bright note, we are no longer trying to recover the server itself because of the certainty the needed data is on the SAN, along with the fact that the server is almost 7 years old.

So, we are now focused on retrieving the needed data from the SAN-attached drive. I have determined (with about 90% certainty) that the needed data is on that drive – which is "attached" to the failed server.

I have tried using iSCSI Initiator from another server and from my Win7 laptop, but neither version finds the storage drive (named SAN_100GB). The SAN is named LHS-SAN1 at 172.16.2.2 (Ch2) and 172.16.2.1 (Ch1). The SAN_100GB drive/LUN is on 172.16.2.2.

On the Hitachi SAN Array Manager Manager, I can see the SAN storage drive. It shows as healthy and available. My problem is connecting to it, so I can pull the data from it.

Would someone help me (re)attach the SAN_100GB drive to another server?

Edited by Char1ieJ, 28 January 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Each storage section, or LUN, is mapped to the specific server to which it belongs which creates a virtual array that is only available to that particular server. I beleive what you need to do is access the LUN via the array manager and change the LUN mapping to point at whatever computer you wish to access the data from or add a second mapping to the new computer if you can.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users