Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Installing XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bugsmashers

bugsmashers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:13 PM

Hello,

I humbly beeseech thy wisened elders for a mere touch of thy wisdom.

I have a new copy of Windows XP OEM that I am trying to install on my Compaq. I keep getting a fatal error message that reads:

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

If you are installing from a CD (which I am) try cleaning it or using another CD. (microsoft needs another $100) The CD is clean, new, and legal.

It then takes me to the system error log. It is a long page but to summarize:

Installation Failed: E:\386\asms Error message : Data cyclic redundancy check.

Error: Installation failed: E:\I386\asms\60\msft\windows/common/controls/controls.mav

Has anyone seen this before? Do I just have a bad disk?

Humbly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:36 PM

It sounds like your Rom Drive is getting weak. If you have 2 drives boot from the CD in the other drive.
Be sure you boot from the CD.

#3 bugsmashers

bugsmashers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:10 PM

Sadly,
I tried a different ROM drive tonight and the exact same error occurs. The dealer is giving me a warranty replacement disk, hopefully it will work.

Thanks,

Ben

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:11 PM

Your Welcome Ben

Sorry I couldn't be of better help.
Hope it works.
Let us know either way.

#5 digi

digi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

I had the exact same problem last night. "Sorry you couldn't be of more help?" On a forum, everyone is a help, because even
though your communication happened years ago, I am reading it now, and wondered the same thing about the drive but now I
(probably) won't need to try the CD-ROM switching out. I actually don't know what to try next though. Perhaps it's a power issue
in the computer? It happened near the time when the whole room was incredibly hot, hotter than usual to the point where the
computer had been going bluescreen and overheating with the beeping overheating alarm, etc.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

Heat causes a lot of problems. Take the cover off and clean the fan and heatsink. The first thing to do when an optical drive is suspect is to get one of those CD cleaning disc, pop it in the drive and clean the lens
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 June 2007 - 09:16 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users