Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image restore, difference between three methods

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 golemus

golemus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

I was wondering, there seems to be four ways to restore a windows 7 system image:

1. Backup and Restore --> Recover system settings and computer --> Open System Restore --> Choose System Image Restore Point.

2. Backup and Restore --> Recover system settings and computer --> Advanced recovery methods --> Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer.

3. Boot computer from system repair disk and choose the appropriate option

4. Boot computer from win7 installation DVD and choose the appropriate option

What is the difference between these four ways of restoring or are they completely equivalent? How about the options in the system restore (checkboxes, etc..), I don't think they are self-explanatory, do you have any links where they would be explained well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

System restore takes a snapshot of the registry and system files and will restore them on command (hopefully - I don't have a lot of faith in System Restore)

An IMAGE is a snapshot of a file, folder, or disk. It restores everything that was imaged to the same state as when the image was created. I prefer 3rd party imaging utilities (Acronis True Image is not free, but it's the best. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect. They should be used on a regular basis)

Booting to the Windows DVD will run selected repair options on the hd or os

#3 golemus

golemus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

System restore takes a snapshot of the registry and system files and will restore them on command (hopefully - I don't have a lot of faith in System Restore)

An IMAGE is a snapshot of a file, folder, or disk. It restores everything that was imaged to the same state as when the image was created. I prefer 3rd party imaging utilities (Acronis True Image is not free, but it's the best. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect. They should be used on a regular basis)

Booting to the Windows DVD will run selected repair options on the hd or os

Yes I know that. I created a system image, but there became a system image restore point to system restore. Does it mean that if you use that restore point it would restore only registry and system files from the full image?

For me it appeared as the whole image would have been restored though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users