Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Malenky_bit_o_Help

Malenky_bit_o_Help

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

So I was browsing through the startup in MsConfig and i came across this file or program or whatever it is. I have no clue what it is so i tried a google search on it to try and figure out what it does, and could find nothing. I believe it is running the olemainclass.dll which i could find zero references to it on google. I found that odd cuz i've always been able to just google an unknown file or process and usually find some information out fairly easily. I'm just curious what this is, is it safe? Can i disable it? Whats the best way to disable it?

Here is all the information from the line in MsConfig:
(Man i cant copy and paste it?!?!)

Startup Item: oleMainclass
Manufacturer: Unknown
Command: rundll32.ede "C:\Users\???\AppData\Local\eventWebSvcs\oleMainclass.dll",tcpWIPlay SmartnetNetM

I would appreciate any help with this very much. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

ole is object linking and embedding, but I've never heard of olemainclass - and it certainly would not be loading from a startup location (hkci/ / / run). I'd suggest posting in the malware forum. If you wish to disable that startup item and see what happens, go ahead. If you ultimately decide to permanently disable it, do not use msconfig - either delete it from the registry manually (if you are comfortable doing that) or use a simple 3rd party app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

#3 Malenky_bit_o_Help

Malenky_bit_o_Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thank you very much for such a speedy reply. I will try posting in the malware forums. Also thanks for the tips on permanently disabling it. I had a feeling using MsConfig wouldnt be the best way of doing it, but wasnt sure what the best way would be. Thanks again.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

Msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility and should really only be used as such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users