Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protected Folders on Workgroup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Blue

John Blue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Ok, I'm fixing to set up a workgroup, and we want to set the folders to where only certain users have access to them. I need the in's and out's of being able to set this up and secure the network.

Currently when I've tried to set a share a folder, it will not allow me to select a user to share it with. I'm only able to select "Everyone". I need some help from an experienced user. Any information will help. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:11 AM

Without knowing the OS, it can vary. If you right-click on the folder you want to share, you should see a tab called Sharing. In that tab, you can browse to share properties (sometimes under Advanced Settings or some such,) where the default is Everyone having the Read right checked, and nothing else. Sometimes, it is under "Permissions." You would then add other users. If they are local to that machine, then you would just browse that machine. If they are on other computers, you would need to browse to those computers by hitting the Location button and select the machine(s) from which you want to add users. Again, depending on the OS, you may or may not see other machines.

Be careful about removing the Everyone group. You should make certain that the local user whose folder it is has Full Control, as well as the administrative account on the computer before you touch Everyone. Do NOT give Everyone ANY "deny" rights. Read and Change is good enough for all the other users.

If you have Pro, Professional or Business, then you can set up NTFS shares, which are more granular and a better route, but also more complicated. In that case, you would leave the Share properties alone, and administer it entirely through NTFS properties.

An easier alternative that has a lot of upside is a NAS with RAID 1 (mirrored drives.) It is always available, and has it's own security. The mirrored drives provide protection in case a hard drive fails, and you have a central point to manage (as opposed to running all over various machines and setting up individual circular shares.)

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

In a workgroup user information is not shared between the computers. In order to create password protected folders on a workgroup computer you will have to create each user or group (with a password in the Local Users and Groups MMC) that you would like to give access to on that specific computer. Once you do that you can then add those to the share permissions and remove the everyone group as Baker said.

NTFS is a much better system of user access for folders. You can share the folder using whatever share permissions you want and then use the NTFS permissions to fine tune the folders within the folders. Plus if someone just trys to go to the local computer and log on using their credentials they will still be denied access to the folder.

Remember when doing permissions that they stack and the lowest established permission wins. So if you give everyone full control share permissions but give a user read NTFS permissions they will only be able to read what is in the folder
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users