Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with building

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zinus

Zinus

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

I need some help here, it has been a while since I was seriously looking in to building a desktop and I am a bit rusty. I have a 1,200 budget, I will specifically be using this for gaming so I was hoping for a rig that gives the best performance for the price. If you guys could suggest some parts it would be great, I am thinking the 6970 would be a perfect graphics card so I would like to build around that.

I was also wondering if my old Altec Lansing speakers would work with newer model computers; they are about 5 years old, I have no idea what make or model though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Can I get some opinions on this build

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15319552

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

The LGA 1366 processors are a dead-end, you may want to consider an LGA 1155 motherboard or even an AM3 system. You're also missing an OS and there are some better options on the market for GPU's at roughly the same price. Here's an idea:

Case: Broadway Com Corp R-810 Black thick Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - If you're going for high-performance graphics cards, or multi-GPU setups, you will need the added depth and cooling a full ATX tower provides. $79

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel P67 - This motherboard takes the newer Intel Sandy Bridge CPU's, it also allows for SLI and Crossfire. $189

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz - The Sandy Bridge line of CPU's are fast and the K series can be easily overclocked to speeds above 4GHz. This is a mid-range CPU with higher-end LGA 2011 CPU's coming out later. $224

ALTERNATE: CPU/Motherboard (AMD) - MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX / AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz - If $1,200 is an absolute limit, an AMD system would be practical. The 890FX chipset is AMD's flagship model, like the Intel motherboard above, it too comes with SATA 6 and USB 3.0. The CPU is of an older architecture than the Sandy Bridge, though AMD is going to be releasing new CPU's later this year. This CPU cannot reach the speeds of the Intel part in many games, but it does come close. This Phenom II is an unlocked CPU allowing for easy overclocking. $149 and $184

GPU: HIS H697F2G2M Radeon HD 6970 2GB - This is the best AMD graphics card you can get, it hovers between a GTX 570 and 580 in terms of performance. The HIS H695F2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB is a less expensive alternative, it operates at about the GTX 570 levels. $369 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

PSU: Sparkle Computer Corp GOLD CLASS SCC-750AF 750W - This is a high-end unit with modular cables, it will easily handle that GPU and most Crossfire and SLI configurations. $149

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This is a single stick of 4GB of RAM. Most home users only need 4GB with 8GB being more common with high-performance gamers. You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. $54

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB - This is plenty of space for most users. $59

Optical Drive: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - This is just a basic drive. $18

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64-bit - You need this. $99

Grand Total (Intel): $1,247 (Before shipping and rebates)
Grand Total (AMD): $1,167 (Before shipping and rebates)

3939.png

#4 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

Man you are so helpful; every time I need help you are the first to reply with the best answers. Just want you to know that that does not go unappreachated.

That bring said I have a couple more questions:

1. I see the ripjaw series is a good quality product, why is it cheaper than most 1333 RAMs?

2. Why HIS series 6970, I always hear good things about XFX?

3. Is the new Sandy Bridge series better or equal to the core i7?

4. Why that tower? It has a bad rating and seems low quality, I was thinking more along the lines of coolermaster.

5. What do you think a PC like this would benchmark on Heaven, just a general idea.

Edit: I was also going to get a monitor, what are your opinions on this asus?

Edited by Zinus, 25 January 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#5 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

-he probably chose it because that is about the cheapest full-tower ure gunna get, but if u wish to spend more on the case by all means it is a great investment
-HIS is a great company ...as for xfx i have 2 of their cards and wish i wouldnt have...i would have either gone with HIS or Sapphire if i new better at the time...xfx cards are always going to be hotter than most other cards...dont get me wrong they run great, but if u dont have good airflow in ure case forget xfx
-ripjaw is great product, but it is cheaper because of the timings and latency, the ripjaw above has a listed latancy of 9, where as most the 1333 ram uve looked at was probably an 8, i know it may not seem that much of a difference, and it isnt for most ppl, but for enthusiasts they try to get every ms of speed they can
-that monitor is great for the price, but i would spend a little more and buy some speakers to replace the crappy monitor ones
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014

they are cheap but really nice speakers that put out great sound for the price (got these for my work pc and love them) they are a cheap but really affective difference than ure 2x1w monitor speakers

-as for the i7, it isnt as good as an i7 but the noticible difference ino is in no way worth the extra money for intel, cuz remember the cpu is more expensive, but so r their motherboards...i have an amd phenomiix4 955 black edition and play all games crysis to battlefield to u name flawlessly, so im sure with the 970 it can only be better

#6 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

I still have the really nice speakers from my old computer; they were probably the best part of it so I will probably be using those. Thanks for the info man; should I get 2 ripjaws just incase? They are fairly cheap so I thought, why not ya know.

Edit: Just noticed that there is a deal with the motherboard to get another set of RAM at the same price what do you think?

Edit: If you could suggest a good cpu cooler or brand it would be really helpful.

Edited by Zinus, 26 January 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

1. I wasn't aware that RAM was cheaper than most 1333. I simply went for the decent one that operated at 1.5V and was a 4GB stick of DDR3-1600.

2. In your initial post, you wanted a 6970, and there you go. I have an HIS card, I also have owned PNY, EVGA, and XFX cards. I haven't had any problems so far with cards I've got. The HIS was the least expensive and they are decent.

3. Sandy Bridge is still core i5 and i7, just using different architecture. If you do a great deal of media encoding or decoding, a Sandy Bridge CPU may be a good choice, but if you're a gamer with a high-end GPU, more of the processing load goes to it rather than the CPU. It should be noted that the 2500K CPU does not have HyperThreading, neither does any AMD CPU, and only the more expensive i7 2600K has it. HyperThreading does give a slight boost to performance. The Phenom II 970 and the 955 are essentially the same parts, only one is more expensive with a higher stock clock. If you want an even better AMD CPU, their AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz is an alternative if you encode media or use applications that favor actual cores over HyperThreading, like Handbrake. I decided not to include that X6 CPU because any price advantage AMD had over the Intel build would have been all but gone.

4. Four out of five is not a bad rating, but if you want to spend more money go for it. As for all cases, aluminum cases are usually higher class, side windows and vents will make the case seem louder, and shipping can be very expensive. My personal favorite case is still the Cosmos line from Coolermaster.

5. Never heard of Heaven, can't help you there.

If you can, go for an LED backlit monitor, they have better contrast, lower power consumption, and better viewing angles. The Asus VE248H Black 24" is a great monitor, though, speakers integrated with monitors are rarely good. The Acer S231HLbid Black 23" is slightly smaller but much less expensive, otherwise, it is mostly the same. You really don't need an aftermarket cooler on the CPU unless you decide to go past what the Sandy Bridge offers in terms of overclocking out of the box.

3939.png

#8 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Alright here is my final build

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=13276911

With combo buys and mail ins I can drop this to ~1500; can I get a green light to make sure the parts are compatible?

P.S. Will I need standoffs or are they included?

#9 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Sorry to double post but i made a mistake today; I bought the rest of the components but somehow I had a complete idiot moment and forgot to add the graphics card.

I really need help quickly:

I need a decent graphics card that is compatible with the MOBO I'm already over buget so anything that packs a punch for a good price.

6850 perhaps?

If you can't tell me what I should get can you explain how to tell what my MOBO is compatible with. Please help, thank you.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

I cannot view your parts list, it's not public. The 6850 is a great mid-level card, it performs between the Radeon 5830 and 5850 and is a viable alternative. Here's a good one: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB. Your motherboard is compatible with any graphics card that uses the PCI-Express X16 interface. If you want to use Crossfire or SLI, you may want to check for compatibility. If you don't believe you will be using multiple GPU's, and you shouldn't unless you are using high-end cards, then any board with the PCI-E X16 will work.

3939.png

#11 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

I cannot view your parts list, it's not public. The 6850 is a great mid-level card, it performs between the Radeon 5830 and 5850 and is a viable alternative. Here's a good one: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB. Your motherboard is compatible with any graphics card that uses the PCI-Express X16 interface. If you want to use Crossfire or SLI, you may want to check for compatibility. If you don't believe you will be using multiple GPU's, and you shouldn't unless you are using high-end cards, then any board with the PCI-E X16 will work.

I went ahead and ordered the GTX 460

I am not very familiar with Nvidia but I noticed my motherboard was Intel and from what I can remember Intel = Nvidia. Sorry for the link, here is the public file, what do you think? http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13276911

Total was 1,441; a bit over but I think worth it; I may upgrade the graphics card in the future but for now I think it will be fine.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Intel does not equal Nvidia, you could have used AMD cards and had the same compatibility. You have two monitors on that wishlist. You also don't need the thermal compound as it should come pre-applied to the fan.

3939.png

#13 Zinus

Zinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Intel does not equal Nvidia, you could have used AMD cards and had the same compatibility. You have two monitors on that wishlist. You also don't need the thermal compound as it should come pre-applied to the fan.

Looks like my credit card did not let the graphics card go through, they though someone else was accessing my account. Aka, I can still order the Radion, I would just like to know which is better; two monitors were not ordered, I will remove that. Oh well, I will have it just incase I am not happy with the stock fan.

#14 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

cases come with standoff's usually so u shouldnt have to buy them

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

The Radeon 6850 is usually slightly faster than the GTX 460, the Radeon 6870 is even faster for a little higher price if you can get one with a mail-in rebate.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users