Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Graphics memory allocation?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi all. I (unfortunately) have internal graphics on my system, and i was wondering how to lower the amount of RAM allocated to it? I originally had 2 GB of ram installed on my system, and the video memory allocated was 753 MB, I've since updated it to 4 GB of ram, and now the ram allocated to my graphics has jumped to 1755 MB!!! How do i lower it? I tried going through BIOS, and the highest option I could set it to was only 128 MB. All help appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

the highest option I could set it to was only 128 MB. All help appreciated! Thanks.

assuming you mean lowest and not highest ,128 is the lowest newer board will go ,you actually wouldn't want it any lower that 128

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Ok, i admit that i was wrong in saying that 128MB was the highest, its actually 256MB. This i what my BIOS says:

Share Memory - Set Memory Size of Onboard VGA

Options: (In order that they appear)

Auto - (This is what it is currently set at)

32Mb

64Mb

128Mb

256Mb

That is all. There are no other settings, unless i am REALLY REALLY wrong! In which case, LOL on my part.

Wait... now i'm confused, are graphics memory and shared memory two different things?

Edited by jnk1296, 25 January 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

Wait... now i'm confused, are graphics memory and shared memory two different things?

depends i guess

you have onboard graphics so its memory is reffered to a shared memory,becauses it used the computers ram to work ,if you had a addin graphics card its memory would be built into the card [not using the computers ram .]refferd to as graphics memory
if i were you i would set it to 256 for nicer on screen graphics .,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

i'm confused, are graphics memory and shared memory two different things?

Could be - what graphics chipset is it? We should be able to find specifications.

There are onboard graphics that have a reserved minimum you can set (eg 128MB) that is always available, and then an amount of dynamically allocated memory the graphics chip can request if it needs it (eg 768M). But the system has a priority claim on this memory, so if Windows needs some or all of it to allocate to an application, it is released to the global pool so Windows can have it. It's one way of handling the compromises of onboard graphics.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Sorry for the delay. I can't really tell you. All i know is that it is a cross between my ASRock H55M-LE mobo, and my Intel Core i5 660.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157190

I don't know anything about Intel products...but i think that your CPU provides the graphics. In any case, that board has no onboard video chip. You may be "sharing" but not in the usual sense, as I understand it.

Louis

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

Yes, when using the video integrated into the CPU, there are two categories of memory allocation. The shared memory is the fixed amount permanently allocated to video, and the only significance of "shared" is that it comes from onboard system RAM, there's no extra dedicated video memory.

The second allocation is DVMT (Dynamic Video Memory Technology), and it's controlled from the DVMT settings in the BIOS. They're below where you set the option for the shared memory size.

#9 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:58 AM

Well, DVMT didn't help either. The only options on it are 128mb, 256mb, and Maximum DVMT. Sometimes i really wish it were as easy as entering a number!

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

So if you change from Maximum DVMT to say 256M, does it stop it from allocating the 1755MB? If the only adjustments are max 256M shared and max 256M DVMT (512M total) and this is too low, then you'll have to be content to let DVMT do its thing. Remember the DVMT allocation is a flexible maximum, if Windows needs allocated DVMT memory for an application, it'll grab it back from the video. If this causes problems with a game or something, you'd need to get a video card that has enough dedicated RAM of its own. Integrated video is always a compromise.

#11 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

well then i guess i'll have to be content with it. Its just that it seems like so much! Thanks anyway though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users