Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Looping Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 oldboy88

oldboy88

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Hello, I've had an Asus Notebook (Asus G60Vx-rbbx05) for about a year now, and just yesterday in the middle of the usual web browsing it blue screens out of nowhere. I turn it back on and every time I gets to 'starting windows' it's followed with the blue screen and immediately restarts. The blue screen usually mentions 'iastor.sys', but I don't know exactly what this pertains to. I tried power cycling, removing the battery, various safe modes with varying success. Sometimes it would get to the desktop before the blue screen, other times it wouldn't get that far. One time I did get safe mode to start and it ran fine while I moved all my important data to an External hard drive.

I was still unable to get Windows 7 to run consistently though, so I went for my usual course of action which is to just use my Asus-provided Windows 7 Recovery disk to get a clean version of Windows 7. However, to my horror, at the end of the recovery process, Windows booted up, got to the 'Windows Starting' screen and then promptly blue screens. Now the notebook resets before I even get a look at the blue screen, it just flashes for an instant. Upon the automatic reboot, it takes me to a Windows error screen with options for safe mode, start windows normally, etc. However, this screen asks for a Windows installation to correct whatever software/hardware problem it's encountering. Only thing is, all my notebook came with, as far as I remember, is the Win7 Recovery disk, so I'm at a bit of an impasse. When it first happened it seemed like it might be some weird driver problem and so the clean recovery seemed a good option, but now I'm worried about hardware failure or other more serious problems.

If anyone has any insight into a solution it would be greatly appreciated. If any further specs or information is needed I will supply it to the best of my ability. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

Reboot and and as soon as the system begins booting start tapping the F8 (function) key. This will take you to the advanced boot options screen. Choose "Disable restart on error" and reboot. The blue screen should stay up. Can you post the entire contents of that screen?

#3 oldboy88

oldboy88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Here it is:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, pres F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA80048C4060, 0XFFFFFFFFC000014F, 0X0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Here's what I suggest:

1) Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to disk and boot to it and run it (your dvd drive will need to be the first device in your bios boot order).
2) After doing that, boot your Windows 7 dvd. Follow the instructions in the following link and run both the fixboot and fixmbr options: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

#5 oldboy88

oldboy88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

I'm assuming my hd manufacturer is Asus. On their site in the downloads sections I found a bunch of utility tools, but am unsure on which one is appropriate.

Here's a list:
Asus Fast Boot Utility
System Restoring Utility
ASUS configuration Utility
System Monitor Utility
ASUS Data Security Manager Utility
ASUS FancyStart Utility

There were more, but these are the ones that seemed relevant. The first option sounds like the right one, but I just wanted to be sure before burning anything to disk.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

No, it would be the manufacturer of your hard drive. You can remove the cover over the hd on the bottom of the laptop and read the name of the manufacturer.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

If that doesn't work, you may need to download a Linux Rescue Disk(s) that can be used to repair Windows
Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/36767.aspx#ixzz1C5b7MAGD

I would also suggest that you download one of these too:
Avira AntiVir Rescue System
Kaspersky Rescue Disk

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 oldboy88

oldboy88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Alright, so the HD is seagate momentus 7200.4 320gb. I got seatools and am running it now. Should I do a test or something?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you are running Seagate tools, that IS the test. You've downloaded Seagate Tools, burned it to cd, and booted to it, yes? If so, run the hd diagnostic and let's check the health of the hd.

#10 oldboy88

oldboy88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, Seatools came up, showed my drive. I did the short test option and everything it says seems to be a-okay. Should I try running those kaspersky/AVG boot disks?

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Yes!

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Either before or after running the av scan, please follow the second item in my post above (boot your Windows 7 dvd. Follow the instructions in the following link and run both the fixboot and fixmbr options: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392)

Edited by Allan, 25 January 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#13 oldboy88

oldboy88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

I'm probably doing something wrong... But I put in my ASUS Win7 Recovery disk and I don't get any of the options mentioned in the Microsoft Support page. It just asks if I want to recover my computer, and that's it.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the command prompt.

DOUBLE EDIT: fixmbr and fixboot both give me errors. 'not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

TRIPLE EDIT: The computer will get to the Window 7 Home Premium 'Welcome' screen. Sometimes it gets to the desktop, sometimes it doesn't, and then it blue screens. This blue screen is different than the previous however.

Tech Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8800110b6ff, 0xfffff8800334e938, 0xfffff8800334e190)

*** iastor.sys - Address fffff8800110b6ff base at fffff880010c1000, datestamp 4a287aa4

And then it does a crash dump.

The statements from the last edit still stands too, fixmbr and fixboot don't run from the recovery disk I am using.

Edited by oldboy88, 25 January 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

You need a Windows 7 disk, not a recovery disk to boot to the Startup Repair Options.. Sorry, should have made that more clear.

#15 oldboy88

oldboy88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

Ah, my laptop didn't come with that. So I'm gonna need to a buy a copy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users