Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Laptop, now screen is all messed up.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calamityx

Calamityx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.

So, I accidently dropped it on a hard wood floor. Computer was not on when this happened (thankfully), but after attempting to turn it on, I got a very messed up, multicolored screen. It seems to still boot, it's only the screen that appears to be messed up.

That being said, I was wondering ... Is there any cheap way of repairing this? Will it go back to normal if I let it sit for awhile?

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2011 - 02:43 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Laptop I assume? The most common damage to a dropped laptop is either the lcd screen or the hd. What does it look like if you boot to safe mode?

#3 Calamityx

Calamityx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

Yes, it's a laptop.

And I can't try booting into safe mood, as the screen is all funky and messed up - can't see a thing. :(

Looks exactly like this:

Attached Files

Edited by Calamityx, 25 January 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hmm. Yeah, sorry - but I think it needs to go in for repair (either to the manufacturer or a repair shop)

#5 Calamityx

Calamityx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

Do you know how much this might cost? It's an HP Pavillon model, and maybe about two years old. How can I tell if the hard drive is still functioning? I've got some important files that I'd like to keep ...

Edited by Calamityx, 25 January 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

I got my lcd on my hp replaced after I stepped on it. It costs $100 for the lcd panel usually, if you have a warranty get them to give you one. It's easy to install, just take the cover and keyboard and hinges off and it's one wire that clicks into the mobo and a ribbon. Hard drives for a laptop are $50-$100 and only require the removal of 1 screw. HP has detailed manuals on their site, they are hard to find but they are there. Use your service tag on support.hp.com to find them. So I would get the screen and some small screwdrivers and do this myself (in static free environment). If you have ever worked on a car it's very similar, just be organized and go slow.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by thrillhouse, 25 January 2011 - 02:09 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

If you are a do it yourselfer, the I would read this How do I repair my lap top lcd?

#8 Calamityx

Calamityx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the info cryptodan, and thrillhouse. :)

I'm not much of a 'do it yourself person' though, and after calling several computer repair shops I was told that it could cost anywhere from $200 - $300. The good news is that the hard drive still works - I tested it out on another PC yesterday and all of the data is still intact.

So now I'm just wondering if it would be worth paying to get the screen fixed, or if I would be better off to just go out and buy a new laptop altogether and save the files on my old hard drive to a USB and transfer them over to the new PC ...

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

What are the specs of the laptop with the issues?

#10 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

If it comes to needing repair, have you got house contents insurance? If so have a look and see if accidental damage is included. A friend of mine got a 600 repair on an 800 laptop paid in similar circumstances.

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users