Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Won't Boot, Have Tried Almost Everything, Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 doodah12

doodah12

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

XP Won't Boot, Have Tried Almost Everything, Help!
Hi,
I have an XP boot up problem, bios runs, and as windows is about to (or should) boot, screen goes black and bios starts over. I checked the drive in another computer I have, and same thing. I then slaved it to make sure it's not a total disk meltdown, but I am able to access the disk and the files.
I've since tried:
Using the installation disk and using the repair option on the disk, hasn't worked, when it says to reboot and remove the disk, it goes back to the bios cycling over and over, the windows installation doesn't continue.
I've tried using the recovery console to run chkdsk /r, fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg /rebuild, still no boot up.
I have a copy of partition table doctor which I could install on the drive while it's slaved on my other system.
Should I try this, or is there anything else I could try? I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a full re-install of XP, which I've been dreading, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Everything was normal until the other afternoon, my son tried to log off and switch user from my wife's login to his. The computer told him he didn't have priveledges, so he rebooted, and then the problem as stated in my post started.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Let's check the hd. Boot to the XP CD and choose the first repair option (that will take you to the recovery console). Once there, run chkdsk /r
Let it run to completion and reboot. What happens?

#5 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

I already did that, it took about 3 hours, I then rebooted, and I get the bios just recycling.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Can you access the safe mode and Last Known Good options?

Louis

#7 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

No, I can't get either of those to work.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

I already did that, it took about 3 hours, I then rebooted, and I get the bios just recycling.

I'd just like to confirm that you ran chckdsk /r (with the "/r" switch) - correct?

And if you CAN get to the advanced boot options screen as hamluis suggests, you might also try safe mode.

#9 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

yes, I did run it with 'r' switch, and I can get to the advanced options screen, but when I choose either of those options, it goes back to thje bios screen again.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

I've never used Partition Table Doctor, so I have nothing to say about it as an alternative.

But...I have used other Easeus products and I have confidence in them.

I just went to the Easeus website...and it seems that they are discontinuing PTD...there must be a reason why they choose to do so.

http://www.easeus.com/product.htm , no download link available, which I interpret as "let's protect ourselves".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users