Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:13 PM
Are you presented with an "Advanced Options" menu when you tap the F8 key while booting?
If so choose the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" option and use system restore to go back to a date when the system was bootable :
To start the System Restore tool from a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
- where %systemroot% is usually C:\Windows
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
Reboot and check the computer runs normally then try to boot to Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key when you start (Do not set the option in msconfig
) If you can boot in safe mode OK then log on as your normal user (are you an administrator?) and continue with your malware removal procedure.
Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.