Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen - IRQL not less or equal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HakaTu

HakaTu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

Old IBM laptop running XP Professional, version 2002, sp2, went into Blue Screen death during a reboot attempt in order to run a boot time scan by Avast AV (full purchased copy) that was updated just before rebooting. That same morning MS did an auto update and successfully rebooted. Thought there might be some sort of conflict between updated versions of MS and Avast, but have not yet tried to remove current version of Avast to test that assumption, hoping to get some input here as to what else the problem might be.
Blue Screen displays:
Driver IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
Stop 0x000000D1 (0x0..5c, 0x0..02, 0x0..00, 0xF83BE987)
NDIS.SYS Address F83BE987 base at F83A900, Datestamp 48025d03
I managed to boot the computer using an old version of UBCD4WIN (2008) and ran straight forward diagnostic and correction apps like chkdsk, and partition checking, ... and came up without any problems. There are other apps on the CD that I am not sure what they do, so I did not run them, but will gladly try if they are suggested. I do have another computer, obviously, that I can download any utilities to (including an updated UBCD4win) and put on CD or flash to use on problem computer.
I suffered a similar problem on a desk top a couple of years back, which has since been gathering dust. It is a Dell XPS 400, also running XP with SP2 I believe. I no longer have all of the specifics, but do remember the Blue Screen message was like: Driver IRQL LESS THEN OR NOT EQUAL TO ZERO. I did manage to get it to reboot on it's own, and before it re-crashed I tried to restore it to a version before the problem occurred. After that it died and wouldn't come up at all past the blue screen. I did not have or run UBCD4W apps on the desktop.
First I would like to try to fix the laptop, and if that works then the desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

If I were you, the first thing I'd do us update to sp3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users