Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get rid of Browser Hijacker

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ithildyn

Ithildyn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

Heyas!

Here's the little story: I got infected last week with a Browser Redirect Virus and System Tool (I believe the first one force downloaded the second one) at my school computer, most probably by loading an infected video file my teacher had asked me to find and watch as inspiration for the art direction of the project we were making.

We are a very small school and we do not have any tech support, thus while the personnel is quite tech-savvy, this nasty infection got us in quite a pickle. It ends up that I'm the one trying to clean up my school computer myself. I believe I have been able to get rid of System Tool itself on my computer, but I still got the browser infection.

I've ran scans with McAfee, MBAM, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor, Hitman Pro and some more I'm forgetting... I've been trying to replicate various solutions provided on the first pages of this thread: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web%20Search/thread?tid=6df7e15519290612&hl=en&start=40 (removing unknown IPs form host folder, looking in my drivers folder for the rogue file, etc...)

So far, no avail, it's still there.
I believe it wiser to ask people here as I am clearly outclassed.
I am not fit to play in the registry without help if it's gonna be needed (suspect it'll get to Combofix...) and it's not even my own PC...

It might be of use to note that I installed Goggle Chrome as this browser is unaffected.
Both Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 are infected, and search engines such as Google, Yahoo or Bing redirect me to advertisement pages. But I also tried Altavista and this one is unaffected (which must mean the virus makers didn't bother).

My computer is using Windows XP Professional 2002 version service pack 2.

I can provide a HijackThis log or the such, just ask.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Ithildyn, 25 January 2011 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users