Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive or flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nbtseven

nbtseven

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:55 AM

I need something to keep everything stored on that is not disks. I am over run with disk! I want to take everything from my disks and put it all in one place, but not on my computer. So, do you recommend an external hard drive for storage of all this or some flash drives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

I suggest a good external drive. Not sure why you'd even consider multiple flash drives.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

Should you decide to go with an external drive. A couple additional suggestions.

Purchase one with an external power source. Meaning it plugs into an AC outlet to get it`s power.

Most, myself included, also recommend one with a fan. Many external drives are designed very poorly when it comes to cooling.

Heat kills.

#4 nbtseven

nbtseven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

I was considering for the ease of taking it with me where I needed it to go, and how small the flash drives are.

So, any suggestions on external hard drives?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

FWIW: I would also get an enclosure/drive with an On/Off switch.

Some systems will not boot if the USB drive is on...the detection of hardware by Windows is stumped and nothing happens.

Louis

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

To me this depends on what kind of data you wish to store.
If its something like music or pictures, something that is relatively static and doesnt change much, then I would recommend an external drive.
If your data is more like Word & Excel docs etc then a flash drive might be better as it is easier to transport.
Any idea how much data we are talking about? That may be a factor as well.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Personally I don't think either a fan or a switch is important with an external drive. I have several (mostly a/c and a couple of usb powered) and none have either a switch or a fan - all have lasted quite a while (maybe I shouldn't have said that :) ). Anyway, if portability is important to you look at the one below. I have it and it's great. Not as fast as a "powered" drive, but fast enough for backup purposes:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Portable-WDBAAR5000ABK-NESN/dp/B002CZQ4GU/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1295977884&sr=1-6

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

I say external. None of mine have fans, I wish they did, just be mindful of how long you leave it on.

Edit: I have the same drive as Allan, it rules. I got it for the same price at Target.

Edited by thrillhouse, 26 January 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

......just be mindful of how long you leave it on.

aahhh....there`s the rub.

When working a a Clients PC perhaps I tend to be a bit more cautious.

Depending on just what it is I am doing with there PC I will back-up there data, sometimes entire drive. This can be quit a lot of data taking a considerable amount of time and invaluable to the client.

Thus the reason I prefer a cooled enclosure.

Edited by ThunderZ, 27 January 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#10 geoguroo7

geoguroo7

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

flash drives are getting pretty cheap and they are very petite, but the problem is you can't get a huge one. 16GB is like 4 DVDs, but 1TB external hard drive is 256 DVDs worth - nearly a lifetime worth of word documents. If you build it yourself its usually cheaper depending on which combo you get. The only thing you need to worry about is the cable (Almost all use whats called SATA cables, some use the slightly slower IDE cables), and you need to get the right size. Laptop drives are going to be a little more expensive, but much smaller.

here is a hitachi external harddrive with 1tb, already assembled $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145325
here is a hitachi internal harddrive with 1tb, bare drive $55 3.5" SATA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304
a slick looking case to match: 3.5" $27 SATA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332022

if this looks like it costs more than another set of CDs here is a tiny 80GB with case $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822242002
for five dollars more you get double the size
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822242006

newegg is a really great website. they earned my loyalty with occasional coupons and packed in free Tshirts; while maintaining a legitimate business. if you want to find the perfect deal that suits you, maybe you don't care about a fan, but want some neons and flashing lights. don't just take someones word on whats the best

Edited by geoguroo7, 26 January 2011 - 06:20 PM.

"Good, Fast, Cheap... pick two..."
-- unknown, 8,000 B.C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users