Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware id missing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chuck239

chuck239

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

Turned on my Gateway laptop running Windows Vista the other morning and this error message popped up from my taskbar:

"hardware id missing windows cannot identify device plugged into IDE channel"

From looking around online, in this and other forums, it appears to be something wrong with the DVD-Rom. So, I opened my computer and that drive no longer shows. I found a MS support solution about for systems upgrading to windows here which talks about deleting upper and lower filters in REGEDIT. Following the instructions carefully I found the right registry and there is an upperfilters, however, I didn't delete it.

Wanted to get some feedback and/or other opinions about this before I do anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

Yes, delete upper & lower filters per the instructions.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

Go to Device Manager, click on the "+" sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

You will see two listings:

ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

Right click on each of them and click Uninstall, then Confirm.

The Controllers will be automatically reinstalled after restarting your computer.

If the above won't help, most likely, you need a new drive.

If this doesn't work, try this...

One of these may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116'> CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows .

Restart computer afterward.

The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules arenít removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives.

Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch.

Scroll down the page to Restore Missing CD Drive. Click on this to start the download.

Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 chuck239

chuck239
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

I went into device manager and clicked on the "+" sign for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller and this is what I have:
  • IDE channel
  • IDE channel
  • IDE channel
  • standard dual chanel PCIDE controller
  • standard dual channel PCIDE controller
I did not delete the lower filter yet. Local ISP has been sucking lately so wasn't able to get back on til now

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Did you try uninstalling the drivers in the Device Manager?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users