Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCCHIPS M758LMR 1.0 Motherboard with American Megatrends Inc. 062710 07/15/97 BIOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lun7200

lun7200

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

inherited this computer. was thinking about installing linux on it and have my kids use it to get online and stuff. seems like a pretty old motherboard with a only a pentium 3. is it worth looking for a bios update on that motherboard. would i really be able to run a more modern OS like Ubuntu 10.10 or atleast Windows XP at a decent level? I have 1 gig of ram and the machine was running windows 2000 on it. What do you guys think?

The motherboard's form factor is Micro-ATX so would an upgrades be relatively cheap and easy to find?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

No need for a BIOS update that I can see.

I have installed XP on less capable machines, the key is to have at least 1 gig of RAM, which you do. Linux should work as well.

I don't know what type of upgrades you want to do on this system. There really is nothing to upgrade. It already has integrated graphics, not sure whether it has an AGP slot for another video card, that's something you will have to physically look at. It already has enough memory for what you need to do with it. It has a built in LAN port.

Personally, WIN2K was my favorite Microsoft Os for the longest time until WIN7.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users