Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All User Accounts set to 'Standard'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BleepingMark

BleepingMark

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

Vista 32 bit Business Edition

Vista appears to have changed all my user accounts to 'Standard'
I have three user accounts on my computer. My main account and my work account are (or should be) set as 'Administrator'.

My CAD program on the work account has stopped working properly. I discovered that this is because it is unable to write files to C:\program files, which it needs to do. I checked the account settings and discovered that the work account is set as a 'Standard' account.
I logged off, logged into my main account and went to the User Accounts page via Control Panel. The first thing I noticed was that my main account also says 'Standard'. I then clicked on the link to the main User Accounts page.

On the main accounts overview page all 3 accounts are listed with their pictures; the main account & work account are labelled as 'Administrator'; the other account is labelled as 'Standard'

but...

If I click on each one in turn, the radio button for each of them is set to 'Standard'.
I can select 'Administrator' using the radio button, but the 'apply' button is greyed out, so it can't be changed. I assume that this is because my main account is also set to Standard, and so I do not have administrator privilages anywhere on the computer!

What's going on??
This is the last thing I need, since I'm working on a CAD project with a deadline at the end of this month!

Edited by BleepingMark, 25 January 2011 - 08:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

All Windows Vista systems have a hidden Administrator account. You can enable it and then I suppose you know what to do next.

Use the Method 2 explained here : http://www.trishtech.com/winvista/activate_the_hidden_administrator_account_in_windows_vista.php

You would need Vista DVD. If you do not have Vista DVD, download the Recovery Disk ISO from here : http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/
After downloading ISO, burn it to a CD using something like ISORecorder.

Edited by Romeo29, 26 January 2011 - 05:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users