Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can connect wirelessly to internet but not via ethernet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LindnArden

LindnArden

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

Hi there,
Not a techy person here by any stretch ! All of a sudden whenever I reboot my PC it can no longer see the router (ie it won't show up anything when I type in http://192.168.1.1) Usually I just mess about rebooting the router or reinitialising the network card (as instructed by the wizard!) eventually this works.... but not today...I can't connect - all the time the laptop connected wirelessly to the same router works fine. It's set up to obtain an automatic ip address whatever that means, could this be the problem ?? When I ping 192.168.1.1 (an instruction I found on another forum) it doesn't work...help....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:13 AM

Check your Ethernet cable to make sure you have a good connection to the router. You should have two lights on your network card in the back of the computer where the Ethernet cable plugs in. One light is colored green and will tell you if you have a connection to the router, if the green light is not lit you may have a problem with either your network cable, or you may have a problem with the port on your router. The second light on the network card in your computer should be either orange or amber colored; this light will blink when data is passing through the cable so it may or may not be lit.

#3 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

Hi there,
the bit that plugs in is lit up orange(y) and then there is another light that flashes. The PC seems to have gone into some sort of loop now trying to identify the network cycling between the red cross and the yellow triangle on the network icon

#4 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

I've just unplugged the cable from the back of the Pc and plugged it back in and the loop seems to have stopped, now I havew no yellow triangle but just local access

#5 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

This is what it says in ipconfig should it be of any interest / use..translated from french so even more like gibberish to me

Suffixe DNS:
Autoconfig address ipV4: 169.254.43.62
Sub net mask ?: 255.255.0.0
Passerelle par default: 0.0.0.0

#6 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

The 169.x.x.x is a private IP address, meaning your PC isn't getting the address it should from the router. Do you have a different Ethernet cable you could try? I've had problems with the internet "cycling" before and it's usually a ban Ethernet cable.

#7 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Also, if you can get the NIC to stop cycling, but still have the 169.x.x.x IP address you can try to manually renew your ip address from the command prompt. To do this, open the RUN dialog box from the start menu and type cmd. The command prompt should open. Now type "ipconfig /renew" without quotes, this will try to get the correct address from your router. If it works the new IP address should be in the 192.x.x.x range, if it doesn't you will retain your 169.x.x.x private address and will not have access to the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users