Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after WindowsXP reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sassyblu

sassyblu

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

I just reinstalled Windows XP Home and have only done a couple of windows updates so far. I am trying to download Internet Explorer 8. When I try to install it I get this message:

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

Another program I tried to install gave me a similar message with KERNEL32.dll

Then I tried to install Yahoo Messenger and got an error message with Windows Installer:

Incorrect command line parameters Windows Installer V2.00 2600.0

Yahoo Messenger failed to install properly.

I hope someone can help me with the problems I am having with this install.

Dianne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hi sassyblu -
As they are 2 separate items I will hit Number 2 first -

Please contact Yahoo help with regards to reinstalling Yahoo Messenger - I have also had problems with this and they always answered my help questions - I was emailed several pages of procedures to follow and after the 3rd attempt it finally reinstalled -
http://help.yahoo.com/ Yahoo help email

Have you installed XP SP3 yet and updated all drivers - Now follow this disk check item to be sure there are no internal disk problems -
Copy and paste the following code into Run Box - Then close all open programs including any internet - Then click OK to the Run Box -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This will reboot your system after 30 seconds and run a full 5 stage check/repair if there are any problems - This will take 30 to 45 mins to run so please let it run -

Thank You -
EDIT -
Please also follow all items from hamluis also -

Edited by noknojon, 24 January 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

System manufacturer and model?

What SP is currently installed?

Why did you reinstall XP? What problems were you having?

Did you do a clean install...one where the previous partition was deleted?

Louis

#4 sassyblu

sassyblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

This is a Dell Inspiron 4550. There is no service pack installed yet. I reinstalled Windows XP because of a virus that made it so Windows froze everytime I restarted. My antivirus program tried to remove it but it kept freezing up. I did a fresh install wiping out the hard drive before I installed it.
Sorry it's a Dimension 4550.

Edited by sassyblu, 24 January 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

What I suggest...install SP2, then install SP3...then install IE8. SP2 is a prerequisite for IE 8 installation, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd433079.aspx .

Install SP2...make sure that the system is running properly...then install SP3, make sure the system is running properly...then IE 8, that's the way that I would do it.

Louis

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Dell - Installing SP3 - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=47DABAC4EAEE89F3E040A68F5A282CDA&doclang=en

Dell - SP3 FAQ - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=4B7BF14FA25A4429E040A68F5A282C3C&doclang=en

Edited by hamluis, 24 January 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#6 sassyblu

sassyblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

I did all of the above and everything seems to be ok now. Thanks so much for your help (both of you).

Dianne

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

You did all the work, glad you were able to resolve things successfully...happy computing :).

Louis

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Job well done to all involved. A few suggestions, if I may. After a suitable amount of time to see if things are running "smoothly" with SP3, check out Bill Castner's XP SP3: Post Installation Cleanup thread @ Aumha.net and the follow up reply by Robert Dyer, good stuff, IMO.

You also may want to consider (I would) creating a slipstreamed XP SP3 installation CD: Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD It surely would save yourself a lot of trouble in the event you need to do another reinstall.

Just my .02 cents, hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users